White scripts and Black supermen [videorecording] : Black masculinities in comic books / Grace Films ; produced, written, and directed by Jonathan Gayles.
- Other Title:
- Black masculinities in comic books [videorecording]
- [San Francisco, Calif.] : California Newsreel, 
1 videodisc (52 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- Comic books, strips, etc. -- United States -- History and criticism.
Superheroes in literature.
African American men in literature.
African American men in popular culture.
Masculinity in literature.
Race in literature.
Race discrimination in literature.
Comic books, strips, etc. -- Social aspects -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Popular culture -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Documentary films.
Feature films -- United States.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English with optional English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD-R; NTSC, widescreen presentation; this disc is a recorded DVD and may not play on all DVD players or drives.
- "A documentary on representations of Black masculinity in comic books; a popular culture genre which existed before television and whose reach extends into other areas of cultural production such as movies and animated TV series. In a serious, lively and humorous manner, the film examines the degree to which some of the first Black superheroes generally adhered to and were burdened by stereotypes about Black men. However, we also witness how some images shifted--oftentimes clumsily--to reflect the changing times. Featured commentary by scholars and cultural critics, producers, writers and artists provides tools for critiquing all media as they introduce and analyze the leading Black comic book superheroes of the late 60s to late 70s including Black Panther, the Falcon, John Stewart (the Green Lantern), Luke Cage and Black Lightning."--Container.
- Black masculinities in comic books
The Black Panther
- Speakers: Dwayne McDuffie, Reginald Hudlin, Jeffrey A. Brown, John I. Jennings, Jelani Cobb, Mark Anthony Neal, Anthony Tallarico, Sundiata Keita Cha-Jua, Elise McCutchen, Julian Chambliss, Marc Singer, Christian Davenport, William Foster, III, Tony Isabella, Dawald Osaze Kamau Anyabwile, Guy Sims, Adilifu Nama, Michael Sales, Stanford Carpenter, Yumy Odom, Turtel Onli, Eric Battle, Uraeus, Omar Bilal.
- Originally produced in 2011.
Includes bonus feature: The Black age of comics.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
- Gayles, Jonathan. , Producer, Screenwriter, Director
McDuffie, Dwayne. , Speaker
Hudlin, Reginald. , Speaker
Brown, Jeffrey A., 1966- , Speaker
Jennings, John, 1970- , Speaker
Neal, Mark Anthony. , Speaker
Tallarico, Tony, 1933- , Speaker
Cha-Jua, Sundiata Keita, 1953- , Speaker
Singer, Marc. , Speaker
Davenport, Christian, 1965- , Speaker
Isabella, Tony. , Speaker
Anyabwile, Dawud, 1965- , Speaker
Nama, Adilifu, 1969- , Speaker
Onli, Turtel. , Speaker
Battle, Eric. , Speaker
Grace Films (Firm) , Producer
California Newsreel (Firm) , Distributor
John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|