Discipline-centered learning communities : creating connections among students, faculty, and curricula / Kimberly Buch, Kenneth E. Barron, editors.
- San Francisco, Calif. : Jossey-Bass, c2012.
- New directions for teaching and learning ; no. 132.
New directions for teaching and learning, 1536-0768 ; no. 132
127 p. ; 23 cm.
- College student development programs.
Communication in higher education.
Education, Higher -- Social aspects.
Psychology -- Study and teaching (Higher).
- This volume provides information about discipline-centered learning communities. Using psychology as an example, the authors provide prescriptive advice for those interested in developing a learning community in the context of any academic discipline or program. Learning communities are a powerful vehicle for creating and sustaining connections among students, faculty, and the curriculum, but creating one can be a challenge. By providing resources, practical case studies, and theoretical grounding, this volume can both inspire and guide faculty, staff, and administrators in meeting their pedagogical and curricular goals. The authors show how five types of learning communities, based curricularly, residentially, in the classroom, on the students themselves, and even virtually, can be used to enhance student engagement and learning. The chapters illustrate the versatility of the practice across a wide range of settings, student populations, and institutional types. The final chapter contains an extensive listing of resources that go beyond disciplinary boundaries and open possibilities for all in higher education.
- The Growth and Current State of Learning Communities in Higher Education / Anne Goodsell Love
Curriculum-Based Learning Communities Centered Within a Discipline / Mark C. Zrull, Courtney A. Rocheleau, M. Corinne Smith, Shawn M. Bergman
Transitioning Students Out of College: the Senior LC in Psychology at Wagner College / Laurence J. Nolan, Steve M. Jenkins
Residential Learning Communities Centered Within a Discipline: the Psychology Early Awareness Program / Cheryl N. Grills, Adam W. Fingerhut, Vandana Thadani, Ricardo Arturo Machon
Creating Learning Communities in the Classroom / Bryan K. Saville, Natalie Kerr Lawrence, Krisztina V. Jakobsen
Using Student-Based Organizations Within a Discipline as a Vehicle to Create Learning Communities / Michael D. Hall
Virtual Learning Communities Centered Within a Discipline: Future Directions / AnIta L. Blanchard, James R. Cook
The Evolution of Learning Communities: a Retrospective / Roberta S. Matthews, Barbara Leigh Smith, Jean MacGregor.
- "Winter 2012."
Includes bibliographical references, Internet website resources, and index.
- Buch, Kimberly.
Barron, Kenneth E.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|