Health lessons for school leaders : a mixed methods study of school employee perceptions of workplace wellness / Raymond Jaekwang Yu.
viii, 141 p. ; 29 cm.
- Local subjects:
- Penn dissertations -- Educational and organizational leadership.
Educational and organizational leadership -- Penn dissertations.
- There is a growing body of research literature and popular media about wellness and various ways to promote health. Only a few academic studies have attended to school employee wellness, however, and we have no comprehensive studies that attend to the sub-dimensions of wellness and examine these in the workplace. The purpose of this study was to understand school employees' perceptions of wellness, the wellness needs of staff, and ways administrators can support these wellness needs. The mixed methods study draws on Renger, Midyett, Soto Mas, and Erin's (2000) six dimensions of wellness—spiritual, social, emotional, physical, environmental, and intellectual—and uses these to examine school staff perceptions of wellness. The study took place in Bloomington Public Schools, a Midwestern, suburban public school district, where I am an elementary school principal. Participants included 448 staff from a total of ten elementary, three middle, and two high schools. Data were collected in an online survey and six focus groups conducted over a one year period. The results highlight school employee wellness needs, focusing on the themes of social connectedness, emotional support, and stress from specific job demands. Implications for school leaders and suggestions for further study are also discussed.
- Adviser: Stanton E. F. Wortham.
Thesis (Ed.D. in Education) -- University of Pennsylvania, 2012.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Local notes:
- University Microfilms order no.: 3535035.
- Wortham, Stanton E. F., advisor.
Wortham, Stanton E. F. committee member.
McKee, Annie committee member.
French, Simone committee member.
University of Pennsylvania. Education.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|