Of the sacred order and offices of episcopacie, by divine jnstitution [sic], apostolicall tradition, and catholique practice : together with their titles of honour, secular employment, manner of election, delegation of their power, and other appendant questions, asserted against the Aërians, and Acephali, new and old / by Ier: Taylor, D.D. Chaplaine in Ordinarie to His Majestie published by His Majesties command.
- Other Title:
- Of the sacred order and offices of episcopacie, by divine jnstitution, apostolicall tradition and catholique practice
- London : Printed for Richard Royston, at the Angel in Ivie-lane, 1647.
, 386 p. ; 20 cm. (4to)
- stht ias. ngll Chpe (3) 1647 (A)
- Episcopacy -- Early works to 1800.
Bishops -- Appointment, call and election -- History.
Church polity -- History -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Title page is a cancel.
Includes Latin and Greek quotations.
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy bound in full calf with blind-stamped panel; author, title and imprint date stamped in gold on spine.
Culture Class Collection copy bound with: Taylor, Jeremy. Theologia eklektikē. A discourse of the liberty of prophesying. London : Printed for R. Royston ..., 1647.
Culture Class Collection copy has bookplate of Arthur William Rymer Roberts on front pastedown. A. W. &R. Rymer Roberts (b. 1879) was a lawyer and biologist, who graduated from Trinity College at Cambridge University.
Culture Class Collection copy has autograph of "Rob[er]t Nares" (1753-1829) an English clergyman, philologist and author, on front pastedown. In 1795, R. Nares was appointed Assistant Librarian in the Department of Manuscript at the British Museum, and four years later he was promoted to Keeper of Manuscripts.
Culture Class Collection copy has ms. inscription "Ashby de la Zouch, Sept. 13 1804" on front pastedown.
- Penn Provenance:
- Roberts, Arthur William Rymer, b. 1879 (bookplate) (Culture Class Collection copy)
Nares, Robert, 1753-1829 (autograph) (Culture Class Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), T354
- Royston, Richard, 1599-1686, bookseller.
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
English Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|