Cyberidentities at war : the Moluccan conflict on the Internet / Birgit Bräuchler ; translated from the German by Jeremy Gaines.
- Standardized Title:
- Cyberidentities at war. English
- English-language ed.
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2013.
- EASA series ; v. 20.
EASA series ; v. 20
xvii, 414 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
- Ethnic conflict -- Indonesia -- Maluku -- Computer network resources.
Social conflict -- Indonesia -- Maluku -- Computer network resources.
Online social networks -- Indonesia -- Maluku.
Ethnology -- Indonesia -- Maluku -- Computer network resources.
Maluku (Indonesia) -- Religion -- Computer network resources.
- "Conflicting parties worldwide increasingly use the Internet in a strategic way, and conflicts carried out on a local level achieve a new dimension. This new kind of medialization results in a conflict's expansion into global cyberspace. Based on ethnographic research on the online activities of Christian and Muslim actors in the Moluccan conflict (1999-2003), this study investigates processes of identity construction, community building, and evolving conflict dynamics on the Internet. An innovative contribution to conflict and Internet research, this study paves the way for a new cyber anthropology. A newly added epilogue outlines the directions in which the situation in the Moluccas has continued and discusses the advances and developments of theoretical and methodological concerns presented in the 2005 German edition"--Provided by publisher.
- Cybertheoretical foundations
Anthropological Internet research and methodology
The Moluccan conflict
The Masariku mailing list : an example of an online community
The CCDA newsletter : online to the international community
The FKAWJ online : jihad in cyberspace
Textual and visual argumentation in Moluccan cyberspace
Cyber actors online and offline
Cyberidentities at war : summary, conclusion, perspectives.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 9780857458544 (hardback : alk. paper)
085745854X (hardback : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|