Muslim Families in Global Senegal [electronic resource] : Money Takes Care of Shame / Beth Buggenhagen.
- Other records:
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, c2012.
1 online resource (257 p.)
- Muslim women -- Senegal -- Dakar -- Economic conditions.
Muslim women -- Senegal -- Dakar -- Social conditions.
Muslims -- Senegal -- Dakar -- Economic conditions.
Muslims -- Senegal -- Dakar -- Social conditions.
- Electronic books.
- Senegalese Murid migrants have circulated cargo and currency through official and unofficial networks in Africa and the world. Muslim Families in Global Senegal focuses on trade and the transmission of enduring social value though cloth, videos of life-cycle rituals, and religious offerings. Highlighting women's participation in these networks and the financial strategies they rely on, Beth Buggenhagen reveals the deep connections between economic profits and ritual and social authority. Buggenhagen discovers that these strategies are not responses to a dispersed community in crisis, but ra
- Prologue: welcome to Khar Yalla
Homes and their histories
The promise of paradise
A tale of two sisters
A lamb slaughtered
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -231) and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|