Memoirs of Joseph Grimaldi. Ed. by "Boz." [pseud.] With illustrations by George Cruikshank ...
- London, R. Bentley, 1838.
2 v. : ill., port. ; 20 cm.
- Grimaldi, Joseph, 1779-1837.
Actors -- England.
- Publishers' advertisements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Grimaldi's original ms. was first altered and revised by Mr. Thomas Egerton Wilks, who sold it to the present publisher. "The present editor ... accepted a proposal from the publisher to edit the book, and has edited it to the best of his ability, altering its form throughout, and making such other alterations as he conceived would improve the narration of the facts, without any departure from the facts themselves."--Introductory chapter.
Publisher's advertisements: v. 2, p. -36 at end.
- Local notes:
- Bound in original pink embossed cloth.
First issue of the first edition. Final plate "The last song" (v. 2, facing p. 238) contains no border. Eckel identifies this as the distinguishing feature between first and second issues.
Athenaeum copy: Gift: Wm. F.W. Reeve, 1974.
- Penn Provenance:
- Trasoff, Anna (donor)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Eckel, John C. Dickens, p. 140
Shepherd, Richard H. Dickens, 18
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870.
Cruikshank, George, 1792-1878.
Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870. , Editor
Cruikshank, George, 1792-1878. , Illustrator
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|