48 fugues for Frank [sound recording]
- Other Title:
- Forty-eight fugues for Frank
Fugues for Frank
- [Eaglemont, Victoria] : Move, p2010.
- Harvey, Michael Kieran. Michael Kieran Harvey collection.
Michael Kieran Harvey collection
- Sound recording
1 sound disc : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Canons, fugues, etc. (Piano)
- Performed by Michael Kieran Harvey, and complemented by Lingua Franka - concrete poetry by Arjun von Caemmerer, 48 Fugues for Frank premiered in 2010. A labor of love for Zappaphiles and anyone else with an interest in advanced music, innovative poetry and artistic vision. Each of the ten pieces uses four or five ideas inspired by, reacting to, or developing some of Zappa's signature techniques. "Frank Zappa was a great man. Through his lyrics he skewered hypocrisy whether religious, social, artistic or corporate. During the '80s he took on the American religious right and the government of Ronnie Ray-gun, testified to the US congress including Tipper and Al Gore on the issue of rock censorship and blasted the hypocrisy of Baptist preachers such as Swaggart, at the same time winning Grammy awards for albums with titles such as Jazz From Hell. He was a personal friend of democracy heroes like Vaclav Havel (who also had the courage to confront the other major censoring religion of Communism). At the time of his death in 1993 Zappa was working on an ambitious project called Civilization Phaze III which used Dada and concrete poetry techniques to evoke a world not so much post-apocalyptic as post-human toilet. A perennial thorn in the side of the establishment, he stood up for humanism and rationalism, and his music reflects both extreme rigour and freedom. No teenager would ever consider self harm after listening to Zappa's Suicide Chump just as any remotely religious leaning thinking person would hang their head in shame after listening to his rap, the first on vinyl, Dumb all Over."
- #1 ([Zappa influences:] Greggery Peccary, Pentagon afternoon) (7:50)
#2 ([Zappa influence:] The girl in the magnesium dress) (7:07)
#3 ([Zappa influence:] Jazz from hell) (7:18)
#4 ([Zappa influence:] Tink runs amok) (6:20)
#5 ([Zappa influence:] Civilization phaze III) (4:36)
#6 ([Zappa influence:] G-spot tornado) (3:46)
#7 ([Zappa influence:] St. Etienne : guitar solo) (6:16)
#8 ([Zappa influence:] Ruth is sleeping) (4:58)
#9 ([Zappa influence:] The black page ) (5:13)
#10 ([Zappa influence:] Baby snakes) (6:02).
- Michael Kieran Harvey, piano.
- "A homage to Frank Zappa"-- Container.
"A musical homage to the life and work of Frank Zappa, composed and performed by Michael Kieran Harvey"--Container verso.
Recorded March 2010 at Move Records studio.
Program notes by Arjun von Caemmerer and Michael Kieran Harvey and images from Lingua Franka, concrete poetry by von Caemmerer (11 p. : col. ill.) inserted in container.
- Zappa, Frank.
Von Caemmerer, Arjun, 1964-
- Publisher Number:
MD 3339 Move
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|