Theorie der Variationsrechnung [manuscript] : Vorlesung gehalten im Sommersemester 1879 / von Prof. Dr. C. Weierstrass.
- Other Title:
- [Berlin], 1879.
204 leaves : paper ; 267 x 196 (268 x 156) mm. bound to 252 x 226 mm.
- Mathematics -- Study and teaching -- 19th century.
Calculus of variations.
Manuscripts, German -- 19th century.
Manuscripts, American -- 19th century.
- German mathematician who taught at what is now the Technische Universität Berlin.
- Notes by a student from the lectures of Karl Weierstrass on the calculus of variations, in 18 chapters.
- Ms. codex.
Title from title page (p. 1); spine title Variationsrechnung.
Pagination: Paper, i + 204 + i leaves; [1-2], 3-405, [406-408]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
Layout: Margins impressed in each leaf.
Script: Written in cursive script, by a single hand (probably not any of the hands in LJS 206).
Decoration: Occasional small mathematical diagrams in the text (p. 58, 77, 87, 88, 142, 155, 252, 270, 288, 298, 331, 340).
Binding: Quarter cloth over marbled boards, with spine title Weierstrass, Variationsrechnung (matches the binding of LJS 206).
Origin: Written in Berlin (where Weierstrass taught), 1879 (p. 1).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Archibald Lamont Daniels (American graduate student in mathematics at Göttingen and Berlin who later taught mathematics at the University of Vermont; same binding as LJS 206, which has inscription A. L. Daniels, Berlin-Göttingen, 1879-1883, 49 Mansfield Ave., Burlington, Vt., 1910, on front flyleaf).
Formerly owned by Sydney Ross, professor of chemistry, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York (bookplate, inside upper cover).
Appears in 19th Century Shop's cat. 39, p. 23.
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 38.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 51 (LJS 207).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 207.
- Daniels, Archibald Lamont, 1849-1918, former owner.
Ross, Sydney, 1915-, former owner.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|