Opusculum mathematicum [manuscript] / Io[ann]is Baptistae Nigroni.
- Other Title:
- Tractatus geometricus.
- [Genoa?, Italy], 1675.
45 leaves : paper ; 205 x 150 (158 x 120) mm. bound to 215 x 159 mm.
- Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.
Geometry -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 17th century.
- Treatise on geometry dealing with both area and volume, in 7 chapters, written under the direction of the Jesuit Joannes (Giovanni) Salvaterra, who taught mathematics, rhetoric, philosophy, and theology in Genoa, and died in 1680.
- Ms. codex.
Title from title page (p. xiii); caption title Tractatus geometricus (p. 1).
Pagination: Paper, i + 45 + i leaves; [i-xxii], 1-24, [25-68 (blank)]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
Layout: Written in 30 long lines.
Script: Written in cursive script by a single hand, possibly Nigroni's, but probably not the same hand as LJS 209, also possibly Nigroni's.
Decoration: Title page with pen-and-wash border on heavier paper (p. xiii); numerous small geometrical diagrams set in text.
Binding: Contemporary (late 17th-century) parchment, gilt-tooled, with floral centerpiece and initials G B N (matches binding of LJS 209, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania); sprinkled edges.
Origin: Written in Italy, probably Genoa (by association with Giovanni Salvaterra), in 1675 (p. xiii).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 39.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 50 (LJS 208).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 208.
- Salvaterra, Giovanni.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|