Bhagavadgītā, circa 1700-1850. = भगवद्गीता, १७००-१८५०.
- Standardized Title:
- circa 1700-1850.
1 item (45 leaves) : paper ; 17 x 21 cm.
- Hindu mythology.
Krishna (Hindu deity).
Lakshmi (Hindu deity).
War -- Religious aspects -- Hinduism.
Manuscripts, Sanskrit -- 18th century.
Manuscripts, Sanskrit -- 19th century.
Manuscripts -- India -- 18th century.
Manuscripts -- India -- 19th century.
- In Sanskrit (Devanāgarī)
- Manuscript used for public or private recitation and prayer, the main part of which is a full copy of the Bhagavadgītā, a section of the epic Mahābhārata that commonly circulated as an independent text. Text presents the dialogue between the Hindu deity Kṛṣṇa and the epic hero Arjuna at the moment before the two family clans, the Kauravas and the Pāṇḍavas, begin to battle. The first section of the manuscript (Part 1, f. 1-2) is a short praise of the greatness (māhātmya) of the Gītā (Bhagavadgītā) from the Varāhapurāṇa and the final part of the manuscript (Part 3, f. 1r) is a praise (stotra) of the goddess Lakṣmī from the Agnipurāṇa. Part 3 appears to be in a different hand although the title on the verso (Part 3, f. 1v) is in the same hand as the rest of the manuscript.
- (Part 1:) Gītāmāhātmya
(Part 2:) Bhagavadgītā
(Part 3:) Lakṣmīstotra.
- Title from back title page (Part 3, f. 1v); section title Gītāmāhātmya from internal colophon (Part 1, f. 2v).
Written in 11-12 lines per leaf.
45 leaves foliated (Part 1:) 1-2; (Part 2:) 1-42; (Part 3:) , upper left and lower right verso.
Colophon (Part 2:) iti śrī madbhagavadgītāsūpani[ṣad] saṃnyāsayogonāmāṣṭādaśo 'dhyātyaḥ // 18 // śrīkṛṣṇārpaṇam astu // (f. 42v).
Mistakes blacked out; significant syllables, words, or phrases highlighted in red throughout; vertical margins marked with double gray line.
- Cited in:
- Listed in H. I. Poleman, Census of Indic Manuscripts in the United States and Canada (New Haven, Conn.: American Oriental Society, 1938), Poleman 946, 1017, and 1433 (UP 551).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Coll. 390, Item 551
- Contained In:
- Collection of Indic Manuscripts. Item 551
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|