Borges and mathematics : lectures at Malba / Guillermo Martinez ; translated by Andrea G. Labinger.
- Standardized Title:
- Borges y la matemática. English
- West Lafayette, Ind. : Purdue University Press, c2012.
xi, 140 p. ; 22 cm.
- Borges, Jorge Luis, 1899-1986 -- Knowledge -- Mathematics.
Mathematics in literature.
- "Borges and Mathematics is a short book of essays that explores the scientific thinking of the Argentine writer Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986). Around half of the book consists of two "lectures" focused on mathematics. The rest of the book reflects on the relationship between literature, artistic creation, physics, and mathematics more generally. Written in a way that will be accessible even to those "who can only count to ten," the book presents a bravura demonstration of the intricate links between the worlds of sciences and arts, and it is a thought provoking call to dialog for readers from both traditions. The author, Guillermo Martinez, is both a recognized writer, whose murder mystery The Oxford Murders has been translated into thirty-five languages, and a PhD in mathematics. Contents: Borges and Mathematics: First Lecture; Borges and Mathematics: Second Lecture; The Golem and Artificial Intelligence; The Short Story as Logical System; A Margin Too Narrow; Euclid, or the Aesthetics of Mathematical Reasoning; Solutions and Disillusions; The Pythagorean Twins; The Music of Chance (Interview with Gregory Chaikin); Literature and Rationality; Who's Afraid of the Big Bad One?; A Small, Small God; God's Sinkhole. This book was originally published in Spanish as Borges y la matematica (2003). It has been translated with generous support from the Latino Cultural Center at Purdue University"-- Provided by publisher.
- Borges and mathematics, first lecture
Borges amd mathematics, second lecture
The Golem and artificial intelligence
The short story as logical system
A margin too narrow
Euclid, or, the aesthetics of mathematical reasoning
Solutions and disillusionment
The Pythagorean twins
The music of chance
Literature and rationality
Who's afraid of the big bad one?
A small, small god
- Includes bibliographical references..
- 9781557536327 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|