A new understanding of ADHD in children and adults : executive function impairments / Thomas E. Brown.
- Other Title:
- New understanding of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children and adults
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2013.
xvi, 192 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Attention-deficit disorder in adults.
Mental illness -- Classification.
- Medical subjects:
- Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity -- physiopathology.
Developmental Disabilities -- physiopathology.
- "For over 100 years, ADHD has been seen as essentially a behavior disorder. Recent scientific research has developed a new paradigm which recognizes ADHD as a developmental disorder of the cognitive management system of the brain, its executive functions. This cutting-edge book pulls together key ideas of this new understanding of ADHD, explaining them and describing in understandable language scientific research that supports this new model. It addresses questions like: - Why can those with ADHD focus very well on some tasks while having great difficulty in focusing on other tasks they recognize as important? - How does brain development and functioning of persons with ADHD differ from others?- How do impairments of ADHD change from childhood through adolescence and in adulthood?- What treatments help to improve ADHD impairments? How do they work? Are they safe?- Why do those with ADHD have additional emotional, cognitive, and learning disorders more often than most others?- What commonly-held assumptions about ADHD have now been proven wrong by scientific research?Psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and other medical and mental health professionals, as well as those affected by ADHD and their families, will find this to be am insightful and invaluable resource"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780415814249 (hardback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|