Deviance and risk on holiday : an ethnography of British tourists in Ibiza / Daniel Briggs.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
viii, 256 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Deviant behavior -- Spain -- Ibiza Island.
Tourists -- Spain -- Ibiza Island.
Young adults -- Great Britain -- Conduct of life.
English -- Spain -- Ibiza Island.
- This book represents the first attempt to step inside the holiday experience of young British tourists. Using ethnographic methods such as observation, open-ended interviewing and focus groups in San Antonio, Ibiza, this book reveals the ugly truth about 'how' and 'why' young Brits get involved in deviance and risk-taking when they go abroad, exploring vivid accounts of drug use, drug dealing, violence, prostitution, and injury. In contrast to existing knowledge and populist depictions, Briggs argues that the root of these behaviours is not pathological but rather it is more about how this social group have come to self validate what is expected of them in their leisure time and, as a consequence, how their attitudes are subtly guided and endorsed by the commodified social context of resorts which are only interested in making money at their expense. Exploring issues of youth culture, political economy, tourism and identity, this book will appeal to scholars in sociology, criminology, cultural studies, tourism and youth studies.
- 1 Introduction
2 The Flexible but Entirely Serious Methodology
3 The Theoretical Framework for the Study
4 Ibiza : The Research Context
5 Goin' Ibiza : Home Lives and the Holiday Hype
6 Constructing Ibiza : The Holiday Career and Status Stratification
7 'You Can Be Who You Want to Be, Do What You Want to Do' : Identity and Unfreedom
8 The Political Economy: Consumerism and the Commodification of Everything
9 Capitalismo Extremo: Risk-Taking and Deviance in Context
10 Going Home ... Only to Come Back Out
11 Discussion and Conclusion
12 Meanwhile across the Mediterranean ... (or So Some Wish).
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 243-248) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|