Īḍāḥ al-maqāṣid li-farāʼid al-fawāʼid. = ايضاح المقاصد لفرائد الفوائد.
- [Iṣfahān?, Iran], A.H. 720 (1320)
172 leaves : paper ; 247 x 105 (220 x 75) mm bound to 247 x 110 mm.
- Mathematics, Arab -- Early works to 1800.
- Early works.
Codices (bound manuscripts)
Manuscripts, 14th century.
- Mathematician, astronomer, and qāḍī (judge responsible for the application of Islamic law, including the sharing of inheritance) who worked in Iṣfahān.
- Mathematical treatise with frequent marginal notes by multiple hands. Some of the marginal notes are textual variants or corrections, sometimes in red and corresponding to red overlining in the text. Later added table of contents (f. i verso-iii recto). Ribbon or thread tied in the outer margin as a marker (f. 118).
- Ms. codex.
Title from introduction (f. 2v).
Foliation: Paper, i (modern) + 170; [i-iv, 1], 2-7, 9-23, 23-63, 63-99, [i], 100-132, 132-137, 137-145, 145-160, 160-162; later foliation in ink, upper left recto.
Layout: Written in 29-33 long lines.
Script: Written in rapid naskh by the author (f. 162r).
Decoration: Occasional small diagrams (for example, f. 97r-99r, 103r-109r, 113r-114v, 136v-142r); overlining and some marginal notes in red.
Binding: Morocco spine and cover edges, rebacked; panel of parchment and a single gilt stamp on the upper cover with blind-tooled frame; panel now lacking on lower cover; writing on tail-edge.
Origin: Possibly written in Iṣfahān, Iran; completed in A.H. Shaʻbān 720 (September 1320, f. 162r).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Multiple ownership inscriptions (inside upper cover, front flyleaf, f. i recto, 1r); ownership stamps (f. 1r-2r).
Sold at auction at Christie's, 19 April 1999, lot 333, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 296.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|