The real modern : literary modernism and the crisis of representation in colonial Korea / Christopher P. Hanscom.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts. : Harvard University Asia Center, Distributed by Harvard University Press, 2013.
- Harvard East Asian monographs; 357.
Harvard East Asian monographs
ix, 235 pages ; 24 cm.
- Korean literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
Modernism (Literature) -- Korea.
Nationalism and literature -- Korea.
Postcolonialism in literature.
- "Examines the critical and literary production of Pak T'aewon, Kim Yujong, and Yi T'aejun, whose works confront the "crisis of representation" from loss of faith in language as a vehicle of meaningful reference to the world. Bridging literary and colonial studies, this re-reading of modernist fiction within the imperial context illuminates links between literary practice and colonial discourse"--Provided by publisher.
- Paradox of empire: The crisis of representation in 1930s Seoul literary circles
Pak T'aewon's "representation, depiction, technique" and the colonial double bind
Modernism and hysteria in one day in the life of the author, Mr. Kubo
"Thoughts from a sickbed" and the critique of empiricist discourse
The irony of language in Kim Yujong's short fiction
Embodiments of speech: Yi T'aejun's lectures on composition
Lyrical narrative and the uncohering of modernity
Conclusion: Colonial modernism and comparative literary studies.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780674073265 (hardcover : acid-free paper)
0674073266 (hardcover : acid-free paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|