Seiyō senpaku zukai [manuscript] / Nagasaki Oranda yakushi Motoki Shōei kin'yaku. = 西洋舩舶圖解 [manuscript] / 長崎和蘭譯司本木正榮謹譯.
- Standardized Title:
- Gunkan zukai.
- Other Title:
- Gunkan zukai kōrei
- [Nagasaki, Japan, after 1808]
1 roll (34 sheets) : paper ; 37 x 894 cm.
- Merchant ships -- History.
Warships -- History.
Naval architecture -- History.
Astronomical instruments -- Early works to 1800.
Scrolls (information artifacts)
Manuscripts, Japanese -- 18th century.
Manuscripts, Japanese -- 19th century.
- Scroll of diagrams and text concerning the construction and compartmentalization of European ships, referred to as battleships, all on the recto side. At the top of the scroll is a thin piece of wood and a tie that wraps around the scroll; a paper label in Japanese is on the verso of the beginning of the scroll. Sheets of a different kind of paper, of the same width but different length, are used for backing.
- Ms. roll.
Title from outer label. Translated as "An illustrated guide to Western ships."
Layout: Written in vertical columns of characters perpendicular to the length of the scroll.
Script: Written in Japanese script.
Decoration: 4 detailed full side diagrams of ships, 1 with a top pennant that unfolds above the upper edge of the scroll and 1 with a damaged foldout top pennant; 22 partial diagrams, including ship cross-sections and diagrams of astronomical and navigational equipment; many diagrams rubricated in red, some with syllables that are keyed to text describing the parts or areas of a ship.
Origin: Written in Nagasaki, circa 1800.
Caption title from first preface.
Roll has additional textual content after final image with title "Suisengun kontairyaku kibun."
- Local notes:
- Version with undated preface and rubricated diagrams of astrolabe and sundial in section 4 ("dai 4-gō").
Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, 1999.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 122 (LJS 454).
- Cited as:
- Oversize LJS 454
- Motoki, Shōei, 1767-1822, translator.
- Suisengun kontairyaku kibun.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|