Wicked intelligence : visual art and the science of experiment in Restoration London / Matthew C. Hunter.
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2013. , ©2013
xv, 329 pages, 10 pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 27 cm
- Scientific illustration -- England -- London -- History -- 17th century.
Art and science -- England -- London -- History -- 17th century.
Art, British -- England -- London -- 17th century.
Architectural drawing -- England -- London -- 17th century.
Hooke, Robert, 1635-1703 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Lely, Peter, 1618-1680 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Royal Society (Great Britain) -- History -- 17th century.
- Introduction: "Very able, very sordid, cynical, wrong headed and whimsical"
"I resolved to throw aside all manner of hypotheses ... and to attend wholly to what the appearances themselves would teach me"
Knives out: thinking on, with, through, and against paper in the mid-1660s
Pictorial intelligence: Peter Lely, experimental culture, and the parameters of painting
Cascade, copper, collection: constellations of images in 1670s experimental philosophy
"The wonderful elaboratory of the animal body": the Royal Society's repository at work
The science of architecture and the architecture of science
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -316) and index.
- 9780226017297 (hardcover : alkaline paper)
022601729X (hardcover : alkaline paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|