The following remonstrance, was this day presented to the president and Council, by the hands of their Secretary : To the President and Council of Pennsylvania. The remonstrance of Israel Pemberton, John Hunt, and Samuel Pleasants, sheweth, that Lewis Nicola, is about to deprive us of our liberty, by an order from you ...
- [Philadelphia] : Printed by Robert Bell, in Third-Street, 
1 sheet ( p.) ; 42 x 27 cm.
- T.D. K.Y. t,t, atir (S) 1777 (Q)
- Nicola, Lewis, 1717-1807.
Society of Friends -- Political activity.
Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
Pemberton, Israel, 1715-1779 -- Trials, litigation, etc.
Hunt, John, 1711 or 1712-1778 -- Trials, litigation, etc.
Pleasants, Samuel, 1737-1807 -- Trials, litigation, etc.
Pennsylvania -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- Broadsides -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- 18th century.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Pennsylvania Philadelphia.
- Requesting a hearing before a court of law, for these three Quakers to defend themselves against imprisonment for disaffection to the American cause. The request was repeated the following day (Evans 15499).
The remonstrance is dated: Philadelphia, 4th 9mo 1777.
Includes copy of the resolution of Council directing that the prisoners be sent to Stanton, county of Augusta, Virginia, "there to be secured." Dated Thursday, Sep. 4, 1777.
- Local notes:
- Acquired in 1903 as part of the Benjamin Franklin Papers.
- Penn Provenance:
- Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790 (former owner)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Evans, 15498
Hildeburn, C.R. Pennsylvania, 3626
Wolf, E. Library of Benjamin Franklin, 2576
- Pemberton, Israel, 1715-1779.
Hunt, John, 1711 or 1712-1778.
Pleasants, Samuel, 1737-1807.
Bell, Robert, 1732?-1784, printer.
Pennsylvania. Supreme Executive Council.
Printed Ephemera Collection (Library of Congress)
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
American Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|