The history of the most renowned and victorious princess Elizabeth, late queen of England : containing all the most important and remarkable passages of state, both at home, and abroad (so far as they were linked with English affairs) during her long and prosperous reign / written by William Camden, Clarenceux King at Arms.
- Standardized Title:
- Annales rerum Anglicarum et Hibernicarum regnante Elizabetha. English
- The third edition, revised and compared with the originall, whereby many gross faults are amended, severall periods before omitted are added in their due places, and the English phrase much altered, more constant to the mind of the authour. With a new alphabetical index of all the principall things contained in the history.
- London : Printed by E. Flesher, for Charles Harper, and John Amery ..., 1675.
 p., 10 leaves, 11-661,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill. ; 31 cm (fol.)
- i-e. hae- d.he itth (3) 1675 (A)
- Elizabeth I, Queen of England, 1533-1603 -- Early works to 1800.
Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603 -- Early works to 1800.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1558-1603 -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Translated from the Latin.
- Also published under title: A history of the life and reigne of the most renowned and victorious princesse Elizabeth.
Signatures: pi1 a-b⁴ A-B⁴ C² D-4V⁴ 4X².
Errors in paging: 86, 520, 600 numbered 89, 518, 580 respectively.
Engraved plate (frontispiece portrait of Elizabeth I) signed: R: White: sculp.
Title in red and black within border of double rules; text and printed marginalia within ruled borders.
Errata on leaf a2v.
First published in 1615.
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy bound in full calf; author, title and imprint date stamped in gold on spine; six raised bands on spine; all edges red.
Culture Class Collection copy has erased ms. inscription dated 1718 on title page.
Culture Class Collection copy is a gift of Mrs. Sidney Wynne Ffoulkes.
Frost Collection copy has early ms. biographical note at foot of frontispiece; ms. note in pencil on leaf X4r.
Frost Collection copy has laid in early ms. paper sheet with quotation from p. 89 of this work ("Yet did not all this cut off the sprouting Twigs of his Ambition ... 'That Women are to be excluded from the Succession of Kingdoms, and that their sovereign Command is monstrous.'") and note ("Oh John Knox! -- & yet I almost think it is so --").
Frost Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2010 by Robert Frost.
Frost Collection copy has bookseller's label ("Henry Sotheran Ltd ... London ...") on back pastedown.
Frost Collection copy has wormhole in tail margin of frontispiece plate and leaves pi1-M3; tear in lower portion of leaf 2C1.
- Penn Provenance:
- Ffoulkes, Sidney Wynne, Mrs. (donor) (Culture Class Collection copy)
Frost, Robert (donor) (Frost Collection copy)
Henry Sotheran Ltd. (label) (Frost Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC R9867
- White, Robert, 1645-1703.
Flesher, E. (Elizabeth), active 1670-1678?, printer.
Harper, Charles, active 1670-1709, bookseller.
Amery, John, bookseller.
English Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Robert Frost Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|