The lost history of the New Madrid earthquakes / Conevery Bolton Valencius.
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2013.
460 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- New Madrid Earthquakes, 1811-1812.
Earthquakes -- Mississippi River Valley -- History.
- Introduction: earthquake cracks
A great commotion: the experience of the New Madrid earthquakes
Earthquakes and the end of the New Madrid hinterland
Revival and resistance: earthquakes on native ground
The quaking body: sensation, electricity, and religious revival
Vernacular science: knowing earthquakes in the early United States
Sunk lands and submerged knowledge: how war, swamps, and seismographs hid evidence of the New Madrid earthquakes
The science of deep history: old accounts and modern science of New Madrid
Conclusion: memory and earth in the Mississippi Valley.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780226053899 (cloth : alkaline paper)
022605389X (cloth : alkaline paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|