Images of the modern vampire : the hip and the atavistic / edited by Barbara Brodman and James E. Doan.
- Madison : Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 
xii, 263 pages ; 24 cm.
- Vampire films.
Vampire films -- History and criticism.
Vampies in literature.
- In the predecessor to this book, The Universal Vampire: Origins and Evolution of a Legend, Broadman and Doan presented discussions of the development of the vampire in the West from the early Norse draugr figure to the medieval European revenant and ultimately to Dracula, who first appears as a vampire in Anglo-Irish Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula, published in 1897. The essays in that collection also looked at the non-Western vampire in Native American and Mesoamerican traditions, Asian and Russian vampires in popular culture, and the vampire in contemporary novels, film and television. The essays in this collection continue that multi-cultural and multigeneric discussion by tracing the development of the post-modern vampire, in films ranging from Shadow of a Doubt to Blade, The Wisdom of Crocodiles and Interview with the Vampire; the male and female vampires in the Twilight films, Sookie Stackhouse novels and True Blood television series; the vampire in African American women's fiction, Anne Rice's novels and in the post-apocalyptic I Am Legend; vampires in Japanese anime; and finally, to bring the volumes full circle, the presentation of a new Irish Dracula play, adapted from the novel and set in 1888.
- The Vampire in Modern Film. Reflecting Dracula : The Un-dead in Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt / Victoria Williams
"A Species of One" : The Atavistic Vampire from Dracula to The Wisdom of Crocodiles / Murray Leeder
Dracula the Anti-Christ: New Resurrection of an Immortal Prejudice / Melissa Olsen
Eat Me! The Morality of Hunger in Vampiric Cuisine / Simon Bacon
Race, Gender and the Vampire. The Madonna and Child: Re-Evaluating Social Conventions through Anne Rice's Forgotten Females / Donna Mitchell
Female Empowerment : Buffy and Her Heiresses in Control / Karin Hirmer
Lightening "The White Man's Burden" : Evolution of the Vampire from the Victorian Racialism of Dracula to the New World Order of I Am Legend / Cheyenne Mathews
"You're Nothing to Me But Another ... [White] Vampire" : A Study of the Representation of the Black Vampire in American Mainstream Cinema / Zélie Asava
"She Would Be No Man's Property Ever Again" : Vampirism, Slavery, and Black Female Heroism in Contemporary African American Women's Fiction / Marie-Luise Loeffler
New Readings of the Vampire. Blood-Abstinent Vampires & the Women Who Consume Them / Alaina Steiner
"Exactly My Brand of Heroin" : Contexts and the Creation of the Twilight Phenomenon / Ben Murnane
Disciplinary Lessons : Myth, Female Desire, and the Monstrous Maternal in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series / Hope Jennings and Christine Wilson
Vampire Vogue and Female Fashion : Dressing Skin and Dressing-up in the Sookie Stackhouse and Twilight Series / Sarah Heaton
The Politics of Reproduction in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga / Batia Stolar
The Vampire from an Evolutionary Perspective in Japanese Animation : Blood+ / Burcu Genç
Adapting Dracula to an Irish Context : Reconfiguring the Universal Vampire / James E. Doan and Barbara Brodman.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Brodman, Barbara, editor of compilation.
Doan, James E., editor of compilation.
- 9781611475821 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1611475821 (hardcover : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|