Time-correlated coincidences at the sudbury neutrino observatory: An antineutrino search [electronic resource].
- Nuclear physics
- Local subjects:
- Physics, Astrophysics.
Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics.
Penn dissertations -- Physics and astronomy.
Physics and astronomy -- Penn dissertations.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- This dissertation presents a search for antineutrinos in all three phases of data from the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory. This work presents a new method for detecting time correlated coincidences in water detectors. There are two separate searches: an outside search for the inverse beta decay of antineutrinos on protons and an inside search for the inverse beta decay of antineutrinos on deuterons. The inside search found 3 antineutrino candidates in Phase I with an expected background of 3.83+0.71-0.72 events, 28 antineutrino candidates in Phase II with an expected background of 21.25+3.72-3.75 events, 4 antineutrino candidates in Phase III with an expected background of 6.06 ± 1.14 events. The outside search found 4 antineutrino candidates in Phase I with an expected background of 1.21+0.14-0.17 events, 8 antineutrino candidates in Phase II with an expected background of 9.77+1.06-1.34 events, 0 antineutrino candidates in Phase III with an expected background of 0.46 ± 0.29 events.
Including the expected contribution of antineutrinos from nuclear reactors after oscillations, a limit on the solar antineutrino flux is computed to be F8Bn&d1; ≤ 2.5 × 103 cm−2s −1. Taking the flux limit and the measured 8B solar neutrino flux, a limit on the neutrino to antineutrino conversion probability of P(ν → ν) ≤ 5.0 × 10−4. These limits are the best limits from a water detector.
- Thesis (Ph.D. in Physics and Astronomy) -- University of Pennsylvania, 2012.
Source: Dissertation Abstracts International, Volume: 74-06(E), Section: B.
Adviser: Eugene W. Beier.
- Local notes:
- School code: 0175.
- Williams, Hugh H. committee member
Trodden, Mark committee member
Lande, Kenneth committee member
Klein, Joshua R. committee member
Beier, Eugene W., advisor
University of Pennsylvania. Physics and Astronomy.
- Contained In:
- Dissertation Abstracts International 74-06B(E).
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|