Flying down to Rio [videorecording] / a Radio picture ; Radio Pictures presents ; Merian C. Cooper, executive producer ; directed by Thorton Freeland ; screen play by Cyril Hume, H.W. Hanemann and Erwin Gelsey.
- Standard version.
- Burbank CA : Turner Entertainment Co : Distributed by Warner Home Video, 2006.
- Astaire & Rogers collection ; vol. 2.
Astaire & Rogers collection ; vol. 1
1 videodisc (89 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Brock, Lou, 1892-1971 -- Film adaptations.
Big bands -- United States -- Drama.
Entertainers -- Drama.
Triangles (Interpersonal relations) -- Drama.
Hotels -- Brazil -- Rio de Janeiro -- Drama.
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) -- Drama.
- Musical films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English with optional subtitles in English, French and Spanish.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, region 1; Dolby Digital mono.
- This film, containing the first of many Fred Astaire - Ginger Rogers partnerships, concerns a band in Rio. Songs include "The Carioca," "Orchids in the Moonlight," and the title song. Pilot and band leader Gene Raymond woos Dolores Del Rio, and then learns that she is engaged to a friend of his, after he flys her home to Rio. Fred & Ginger provide the musical moments. Notable for a brilliantly photographed finale with chorus girls on the wings of flying airplanes, the movie was the musical that broke with the rather contrived Busby Berkeley production and moved toward a closer integration of musical and narrative elements. Astaire's dance numbers come not as interruptions but as extensions of the plot.
- Delores Del Rio, Gene Raymond, Raul Roulien, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Franklin Pangborn, Eric Blore.
- Music, Vincent Youmans ; lyrics, Edward Eliscu and Gus Kahn ; photographed by J. Roy Hunt ; edited by Jack Kitchin.
- Dual-layer format.
From a play by Anne Caldwell; based on an original story by Lou Brock.
Originally produced as a motion picture in 1933.
Special features: Vintage comedy short, "Beer and pretzels", with Ted Healy and his Stooges; classic cartoon: "I like mountain music"; Theatrical trailer.
- Freeland, Thornton, 1898-1987 , Director
Cooper, Merian C.. , Producer
Hume, Cyril, 1900-1966 , Screenwriter
Hanemann, H. W. (Henry William), 1895-1968 , Screenwriter
Gelsey, Erwin, 1900-1988. , Screenwriter
Caldwell, Anne, 1867-1936 , Author
Brock, Lou, 1892-1971. , Author
Del Rio, Dolores, 1905-1983. , Actor
Raymond, Gene. , Actor
Roulien, Raul, 1905-2000 , Actor
Astaire, Fred. , Actor
Rogers, Ginger, 1911-1995 , Actor
Youmans, Vincent, 1898-1946. , Composer
RKO Radio Pictures. , Producer
Turner Entertainment Co.. , Producer
Warner Home Video (Firm). , Distributor
- Beer and pretzels [videorecording]
I like mountain music [videorecording]
- Publisher Number:
T7568 Turner Entertainment Co.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|