Carotenoids and human health [electronic resource] / Sherry A. Tanumihardjo, editor.
- New York : Humana Press, c2013.
- Nutrition and health (Totowa, N.J.)
Nutrition and health series
1 online resource.
- Carotenoids -- Physiological effect.
Carotenoids -- Health aspects.
Carotenoids -- Therapeutic use.
Vitamin A in human nutrition.
- Medical subjects:
- Carotenoids -- metabolism.
Carotenoids -- therapeutic use.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Carotenoids and Human Health provides an introduction to food sources and metabolism. Written by experts in their fields and including the most up-to-date information, this volume serves as an in-depth guide to studies that have been performed in humans and observations that have been made in population level assessments. Special emphasis is given to associations with disease, as well as the importance of carotenoids internationally, specifically as a source of vitamin A for the world. Comprehensive and easy to use, Carotenoids and Human Health is a very useful resource for nutritionists, registered dieticians, medical students, and graduate students.
- Part 1. Carotenoid Sources and Metabolism
Food Sources of Carotenoids / Sara A. Arscott
Carrots of Various Colors / Samantha Schmaelzle and Sherry A. Tanumihardjo
Carotenoid Metabolism and Enzymology / Igor O. Shmarakov, Jason J. Yuen and William S. Blaner
Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species in Biological Systems: Reactions and Regulation by Carotenoids / John T. Landrum
Kinetic Studies with Carotenoids / Guangwen Tang
Carotenoid Bioavailability: Influence of Dietary Lipid and Fiber / Shellen R. Goltz and Mario G. Ferruzzi
Host Factors That Affect Carotenoid Metabolism / Georg Lietz
Host Factors: Gender and Body Composition / Joseph Dever.
Part 2. Carotenoids and Human Health
Carotenoid Metabolism and Health in Pregnancy and Lactation / Kerry Schulze and Parul Christian
Carotenoids in Early Life / Xiaoming Gong and Lewis P. Rubin
Provitamin A Carotenoids and Cancer Prevention / Benchun Miao and Xiang-Dong Wang
Lycopene and Cancer / Nikki Ford and John W. Erdman Jr.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin and Eye Disease / Rohini Vishwanathan and Elizabeth J. Johnson
Carotenoids and Bone Health / Sherry A. Tanumihardjo and Neil Binkley.
Part 3. International Perspectives
Provitamin A Carotenoids as a Dietary Source of Vitamin A / Marjorie J. Haskell
Provitamin A Carotenoids and Immune Function / Charles B. Stephensen
Biofortification of Maize with Provitamin A Carotenoids / Kevin Pixley, Natalia Palacios Rojas, Raman Babu, Raphael Mutale and Rebecca Surles, et al.
Horticultural Crops as a Source of Carotenoids / Philipp W. Simon, Megan J. Bowman and Sherry A. Tanumihardjo
Orange Sweetpotato as a Staple or Complementary Food / Paul van Jaarsveld and Mieke Faber
International Efforts to Eradicate Vitamin A Deficiency / Sherry A. Tanumihardjo and Harold C. Furr.
- Includes index.
- Tanumihardjo, Sherry A.
- 9781627032032 (electronic bk.)
1627032037 (electronic bk.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|