Plutarchi opuscula, LXXXXII : index Moralium omnium & eorum quae in ipsis tractantur habetur hoc quaternione. Numerus autem Arithmeticus remittit lectorem ad semipagina[m] ubi tractantur singula.
- Standardized Title:
- Moralia 1509
- Other Title:
- Plvtarchi opvscvla LXXXXII
- Venetiis : In aedibus Aldi & Andreae Asulani soceri, mense Martio MDIX [Mar. 1509]
, 1050,  p. ; 30 cm (fol.)
- 5043 09*- *-*- **** (3) 1509 (R)
- Ethics -- Early works to 1800.
Civilization, Greco-Roman -- Early works to 1800.
Conduct of life -- Early works to 1800.
- Annotations (Provenance)
- Place of Publication:
- Italy Venice.
- Woodcut Aldine device F. on title page and on verso of final page identifed as Zappella 35.
Editio princeps; edited by Demetrius Ducas whose name appears on verso of leaf [cross]8
Imprint supplied from colophon.
Numerous errors in pagination.
Renouard suggests that although the chain lines in the paper run horizontally, the work is nonetheless a folio.
Signatures: [Maltese cross]⁸ a-z⁸ &⁸ 2a-3s⁸ 3t⁶.
Capital spaces with guide letters.
Text in Greek, preliminaries and colophon in Latin.
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy has extensive ms. marginalia in Greek and Latin by humanist Philippus Gundelius of Pauda (1493-1567) with his title inscription "Philippi Gundelij Patauen[sis] Iureconsu[ltus] & Rhetoris Gymnasij Vienien[sis] MDXXI ; another title inscription dated 1536 records that the book his remained with him and bears witness to his life's fortunes.
Culture Class Collection copy has leaf bound in at end on which Gundelius has copied out the Greek verses on the statue of Plutarch erected by the Romans and added his own Latin version of them.
Culture Class Collection copy has full sheet laid in at front of v.1 from bookseller Laurence Witten of New Haven with lengthy typescript description of this copy and its provenance.
Culture Class Collection copy bound in 2 vols.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gundelius, Philippus, 1493-1567 (inscription) (Culture Class Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Adams P1634
BM STC Italian 1465-1600, p. 527
Leigh, C.W.E., Catalogue of the Christie Collection, p. 345
Isaac, F. Early printed books in the British Museum, 12820
Renouard, A.A. Annales de l'imprimerie des Alde (3rd ed.), p. 55, no.1
Brunet, J.-C. Manuel du libraire, IV, col. 732
Legrand, E.L.J. Bib. hellénique, I, no. 33
Panzer, G.W. Annales typographici, VIII, p. 397
EDIT 16 CNCE 37429
Cat. of Ahmanson-Murphy Aldine Collection, UCLA no. 101
Kallendorf & Wells. Aldine Press books, Harry Ransom Research Center, 92
Shaaber, M.A. 16th cent. imprints, P440
- Ducas, Demetrius, editor.
Manuzio, Aldo, 1449 or 1450-1515, printer.
Torresanus, Andreas, de Asula, 1451-1529, printer.
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Greek Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|