Daily life of Victorian women / Lydia Murdoch.
- Santa Barbara, California : Greenwood, 
- The Greenwood Press daily life through history series
xxix, 286 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Women -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Women -- Great Britain -- Social conditions.
Women's rights -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 19th century.
Sex role -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
HISTORY / Europe / General.
SOCIAL SCIENCE / Customs & Traditions.
SOCIAL SCIENCE / Women's Studies.
Women -- Social conditions.
- "Explores the complexities of the lived experiences of Victorian women in the home, the workplace, and the empire as well as the ideals of womanhood and femininity that developed during the 19th century"-- Provided by publisher.
"The 1861 census in England listed women employed as prison officers, pawnbrokers, wheelwrights, stone quarriers, and fishmongers. [This volume] explores the complexities of the lived experiences of Victorian women in the home, the workplace, and the empire as well as the ideals of womanhood and femininity that developed during the 19th century. Contrary to popular misconception, many Victorian women performed manual labor for wages directly alongside men, had political voice before women's suffrage, and otherwise contributed significantly to society outside of the domestic sphere. Daily Life of Victorian Women documents the varied realities of the lives of Victorian women; provides in-depth comparative analysis of the experiences of women from all classes, especially the working class; and addresses changes in their lives and society over time. The book covers key social, intellectual, and geographical aspects of women's lives, with main chapters on gender and ideals of womanhood, the state, religion, home and family, the body, childhood and youth, paid labor and professional work, urban life, and imperialism." -- Publisher's description.
- Introduction: Victorian contexts and ideals of womanhood
Women and the state
Religion, spiritualism and death
Family, home, and leisure
Health and sexuality
Childbearing, youth, and education
Wage labor and professional work
Women and empire.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Erpf Fund bookplate.
- 9780313384981 (hardback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|