Tess / Janus Films ; Pathe! ; Renn Productions presents a Roman Polanski film ; screenplay, Gerard Brach, Roman Polanski, John Brownjohn ; executive producer, Pierre Grunstein ; produced by Claude Berri ; directed by Roman Polanski ; Burrill Productions.
- Standardized Title:
- Tess (Motion picture : 1979)
- Director-approved edition.
- [Place of publication not identified] : [Publisher not identified], 
- [Irvington, New York] : Criterion Collection, 2014
- Criterion collection; 697.
The Criterion collection ; 697
2 videodiscs (171 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet ( pages : color illustrations ; 17 cm.)
DVD DVD video 4 3/4 in.
- Hardy, Thomas, 1840-1928 -- Film adaptations.
Young women -- England -- Drama.
Social stratification -- England -- Drama.
Poor families -- England -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
Wessex (England) -- Drama.
- Romance films.
Melodramas (Motion pictures)
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Motion pictures, French.
Motion pictures, Great Britain.
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf or hard of hearing.
- System Details:
- DVD: region 1, widescreen presentation; 5.1 surround.
DVD digital optical surround Dolby Digital 5.1
Blu-ray digital optical surround 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD laser optical NTSC
DVD video file DVD video region 1
- An exquisite, richly layered adaptation of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles. A strong-willed peasant girl is sent by her father to the estate of some local aristocrats to capitalize on a rumor that their families are from the same line. This fateful visit commences an epic narrative of sex, class, betrayal, and revenge. With its earthy visual textures it is a work of great pastoral beauty as well as vivid storytelling.
- Nastassia Kinski, Peter Firth, Leigh Lawson, John Collin, Rosemary Martin, Carolyn Pickles, Richard Pearson, David Markham, Pascale de Boysson, Suzanna Hamilton, Caroline Embling, Tony Church, Lesley Dunlop, Sylvia Coleridge, Fred Bryant, Dicken Ashworth, Patsy Rowlands, John Barrett, Patsy Smart.
- Music, Philippe Sarde ; production designer, Pierre Guffroy ; costume designer, Anthony Powell ; photography, Geoffrey Unsworth, Ghislain Cloquet ; editors, Alastair McIntyre, Tom Priestley ; art director, Jack Stephens ; choreography, Sue Lefton.
- Based on the novel "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1979.
Restored in 2012 by Pathé.
Special features: Ciné regards (Forty-five minute documentary shot on location for French television during the making of the film); Once upon a time ... "Tess" (a 2006 documentary about the film); On the making of Tess: From novel to screen, Filming Tess, Tess: the experience; The south bank show (host Melvyn Bragg interveiws the director about Tess and his career in this 1979 episode); Trailer. All special features available on both formats. Booklet features an essay by critic Colin MacCabe.
Academy Award winner for Best cinematography, Best art direction-set decoration and Best costume design.
- Polanski, Roman, screenwriter, film director.
Brach, Gérard, screenwriter.
Brownjohn, John, screenwriter.
Grunstein, Pierre, film producer.
Berri, Claude, film producer.
Kinski, Nastassja, 1960- actor.
Firth, Peter, 1953- actor.
Lawson, Leigh, 1945- actor.
Collin, John, 1931-1987, actor.
Martin, Rosemary, 1936-1998, actor.
Pickles, Carolyn, 1952- actor.
Pearson, Richard, 1918-2011, actor.
Markham, David, 1913-1983, actor.
Boysson, Pascale de, 1932-2002, actor.
Hamilton, Suzanna, actor.
Church, Tony, actor.
Dunlop, Lesley, actor.
Coleridge, Sylvia, 1909-1986, actor.
Rowlands, Patsy, actor.
Smart, Patsy, 1918-1996, actor.
Sarde, Philippe, composer (expression)
Guffroy, Pierre, 1926-2010, production designer.
Powell, Anthony, 1935- costume designer.
Unsworth, Geoffrey, 1914-1978, director of photography.
Cloquet, Ghislain, director of photography.
McIntyre, Alastair, film editor.
Priestley, Tom, 1932- film editor.
Stephens, Jack (Art director) art director.
Lefton, Sue, choreographer.
Bragg, Melvyn, 1939- interviewer (expression)
MacCabe, Colin, writer of supplementary textual content.
Janus Films, production company.
Pathé cinéma (France), production company.
Renn Productions, presenter, production company.
Burrill Productions, production company.
Criterion Collection (Firm), film distributor.
- Publisher Number:
CC2338BDDVD The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|