Selling sickness [videorecording] / a Paradigm Pictures production ; director, Catherine Scott ; producer, Pat Fiske.
- Other Title:
- Title from container: Selling sickness : an ill for every pill [videorecording]
Ill for every pill [videorecording]
- Bondi Beach, NSW : Paradigm Pictures ; Brooklyn, N.Y. : First Run/Icarus Films [distributor], c2004.
1 videodisc (52 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Healy, David, MRC Psych.
Pharmaceutical industry -- Moral and ethical aspects.
Advertising -- Medicine -- Moral and ethical aspects.
Advertising -- Drugs -- Moral and ethical aspects.
Medicine -- Marketing -- Moral and ethical aspects.
Drugs -- Marketing -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- Documentary television programs.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- System Details:
- DVD-R format, NTSC.
- Documentary examines the pharmaceutical industry's marketing of antidepressants with particular emphasis on the firm GlaxoSmithKline. It explores the unhealthy relationships between society, medical science and the pharmaceutical industry as they promote miracle cures - selling not just drugs but also the latest diseases that go with them. It also looks at the growing controversy around SSRI antidepressants (especially as they affect adolescents) and follows British psychiatrist David Healy and patients' accusations that aggressive drug marketing is blurring the boundaries between medical conditions and ordinary life.
- Commentary: David Healy, Vince Parry, Jack Gorman, Murray Stein; narrator, Robyn Johnston.
- Editor, Karen Johnson; photography, John Whitteron; composer, Felicity Fox; concept, research, and writing, Ray Moynihan, Catherine Scott; Executive Producer Chris Hilton, Hilton Cordell Productions.
- This disc is a recorded DVD and may fail to play on some DVD equipment.
Produced in association with SBS Independent, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, France 2, and the New South Wales Film and Television Office.
Related to the book Selling Sickness / Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels.
Originally broadcast 5 October 2004, as part of the program The cutting edge.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Healy, David, MRC Psych.
Moynihan, Ray. , Screenwriter
Scott, Catherine, filmmaker. , Director
Fiske, Pat. , Producer
Paradigm Pictures. , Producer
Australian Film Finance Corporation. , Producer
First Run/Icarus Films. , Distributor
Hilton Cordell & Associates. , Producer
SBS Independent. , Producer
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. , Producer
New South Wales Film and Television Office. , Producer
France 2. , Producer
Icarus Films. , Distributor
Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Other format:
- Also released in VHS format: Selling sickness.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|