[Collation of L'ethica d'Aristotile ridotta in compendio] [manuscript].
- Other Title:
- Ethica d'Aristotile ridotta in compendio
- [France or Italy], [after 1568]
14 leaves : paper ; 210 x 145 mm bound to 216 x 160 mm.
- Aristotle. Nicomachean ethics.
Aristotle -- Criticism and interpretation -- Early works to 1800.
Ethics -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 16th century.
- Printed edition of L'ethica d'Aristotile ridotta in compendio da Ser Brunetto Latini (Lyon: Giovanni de Tornes, 1568), followed by a manuscript collation of the printed edition with a manuscript copy, with variants listed in two columns with the headings Nello stampato and Nella copia. The manuscript collation begins with a note that the manuscript used for the comparison belonged to Giovanni Vincenzo Pinelli. The printed work is an Italian commentary on Aristotle's Nicomachean ethics often attributed to Latini as in the printed work but correctly attributed in the heading of the manuscript to Taddeo Alderotti (Taddeo Medico, f. 1r).
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Foliation: Paper, 14 (manuscript leaves only); [1-9], 10-12, [13-14]; foliation in ink, mostly trimmed away, upper right recto.
Layout: Written in 2 columns of 36 lines or 23-26 long lines.
Script: Written in cursive script.
Watermark: Similar to Briquet Armoiries-Etoile 1441 (Naples, 1582).
Binding: 18th-century paste paper over cardboard.
Origin: Written in France or Italy after 1568 (date of printed edition).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Noel Pinelli (French politician, Paris; bookplate, inside upper cover).
Sold at auction at Christie's, 10 September 1999, lot 4, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 21 (LJS 325).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 325.
- Alderotti, Taddeo, 1223-1295.
Latini, Brunetto, 1220-1295, attributed name.
Pinelli, Noel, 1881-1970, former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|