Xokleng [electronic resource] : SM03.
- New Haven, Conn. : Human Relations Area Files, 2013-
- eHRAF World Cultures. South America.
eHRAF World Cultures. South America
- Shokleng Indians.
Ethnology -- Brazil -- Santa Catarina (State).
Ethnology -- Brazil -- Ibirama.
Santa Catarina (Brazil : State) -- Civilization.
Ibirama (Brazil) -- Civilization.
Indians of South America -- Brazil.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- This collection consists of 7 documents, all in English. The basic ethnography on the Xokleng is by Jules Henry, who did his fieldwork in 1932-33 in Brazil in the southern state of Santa Catarina (Henry 1941). Henry mistakenly identified this group as Kaingang, another, closely related, Southern Gê group. Henry also wrote on the Xokleng language and emotions (1936). Another anthropologist who studied the Xokleng is the linguistic anthropologist Greg Urban who focused on the social meaning of food taboos (1981), Xokleng understanding of their pacification (1985), and the role of speech in Xokleng myths (1993). David Hicks' (1966) article is an examination of binary symbolism as Xokleng myth and cosmology based largely on data from Henry (1941).
- Jungle people : a Kaingang tribe of the highlands of Brazil / Jules Henry, foreword by Ruth Benedict
The linguistic expression of emotion / Jules Henry
A structural analysis of Aweikoma symbolism / David Hicks
Culture summary, Xokleng / Ian Skoggard
The semiotics of tabooed food: Shokleng (Gê) ; The represented functions of speech in Shokleng myth ; Interpretations of inter-cultural contact : the Shokleng and Brazilian national society / Greg Urban.
- This portion of eHRAF world cultures was last updated in 2013 and is a revision and update of the microfiche file.
Title from Web page (viewed Oct. 10, 2013).
Includes bibliographical references.
- Human Relations Area Files, inc.
- Henry, Jules, 1904-1969. Jungle people.
Henry, Jules, 1904-1969. Linguistic expression of emotion.
Hicks, David. Structural analysis of Aweikoma symbolism.
Skoggard, Ian A., 1953- Culture summary, Xokleng.
Urban, Greg, 1949- Semiotics of tabooed food.
Urban, Greg, 1949- Represented functions of speech in Shokleng myth.
Urban, Greg, 1949- Interpretations of inter-cultural contact.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|