Essex : the cultural impact of an Elizabethan courtier / edited by Annaliese Connolly and Lisa Hopkins.
- Other records:
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2013.
xii, 324 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Essex, Robert Devereux, Earl of, 1566-1601.
Great Britain -- Court and courtiers -- History -- 16th century.
Favorites, Royal -- England -- Biography.
Great Britain -- History -- Elizabeth, 1558-1603.
Great Britain -- Civilization -- 16th century.
- This collection of new essays about the Earl of Essex, one of the most important figures of the Elizabethan court, resituates his life and career within the richly diverse contours of his cultural and political milieu. It identifies the ways in which his biography has been variously interpreted both during his own lifetime and since his death in 1601.
- Essex : patron and patronage. 'Cleverly playing the stoic' : the Earl of Essex, Sir Philip Sidney and surviving Elizabeth's court / Richard Wood ; Essexianism and the work of Gervase Markham / Matthew Steggle ; Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, and the practice of theatre / Grace Ioppolo ; Essex's international agenda in 1595 and his devise of the Indian prince / Linda Shenk
Self-fashioning. 'Achilles alter' : the heroic lives and afterlives of Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex / Andrew Hiscock ; 'Bringing rebellion broached on his sword' : Essex and Ireland / Chris Butler and Willy Maley ; Essex's last campaign : the fall of the Earl of Essex and manuscript circulation / Andrew Gordon ; 'Idle papers' : An apology of the Earl of Essex / Hugh Gazzard ; 'Toucht with bolt of treason' : the Earl of Essex and Lady Penelope Rich / Chris Laoutaris ; The Earl of Essex and 'politic history' / Alexandra Gajda
Afterlives. Prodigality and the Earl of Essex / Mary Partridge ; The Earl of Essex and the Duke of Windsor : Elizabeth and Essex on film / Lisa Hopkins.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 295-319) and index.
- Connolly, Annaliese F. (Annaliese Frances), 1975- editor of compilation.
Hopkins, Lisa, 1962- editor of compilation.
- 9780719084942 (hbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|