The history of the Lambton worm, near Lambton Castle, County of Durham : to which is annexed, a prose account of the same from Surtees' History of Durham : also, The kow'd lad of Hilton, with an account of the Hilton barons, an original poem.
- Newcastle upon Tyne : W. R. Walker, [between 1855 and 1861]
24 p. ; 17 cm.
- Dragons -- Folklore -- Poetry.
Dragons -- England -- Poetry.
Legends -- England -- Durham (County).
Legends -- England -- Northumbria (Region).
Folklore -- England -- Durham (County).
Folklore -- England -- Northumbria (Region).
Chapbooks, English -- Specimens.
- Chapbooks -- England -- Newcastle upon Tyne -- 19th century.
- Place of Publication:
- England Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Two accounts of the Lambton worm legend, one in verse and the other extracted from Surtees's text. The poem, which relates the story of the "pest of old Wear" that terrorized the countryside and the curse that descended for generations upon the Lambton family, ends by celebrating "a Lambton [who] yet lives of praise more worthy than theirs." Also included in the chapbook is a poem, "The kow'd lad of Hilton" that presents the legend of the murdered stable boy, Robert Skelton, who is said to have haunted the castle of Baron Hylton.
- Title and imprint from cover.
Publication date: terminus a quo inferred from note on page 24: "It is now (1855) ..." Publisher William Walker is known to have operated at least from 1856-1861. Cf. C.J. Hunt, The book trade in Northumberland and Durham to 1860 (1975), p. 93.
A variant: "The kow'd lad of Hilton" has illustrated title leaf.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries copy is variant in which "The kow'd lad of Hilton" has illustrated title leaf.
Penn Libraries copy has partially illegible ms. note ("If yo[...] [...] know my [...] look at page 13") in pencil at head of title leaf; ms. note ("you fool for looking here") in pencil at head of p. 13.
- Penn Chronology:
- 1855-1861 (between)
- Surtees, Robert, 1779-1834.
Walker, W. R. (William Reay), printer.
- The kow'd lad of Hilton.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|