Mastering the lens : before and after Cartier-Bresson in Pondicherry / introductions by H.E. Mr François Richier and E. Alkazi ; curated by Rahaab Allana ; with contributions by Shilpi Goswami, Deepak Bharathan, Prof. Kittu Reddy and Jennifer Chowdhry.
- Other Title:
- Before and after Cartier-Bresson in Pondicherry
- [Ahmedabad, India] : Mapin Publishing ; [Middletown, NJ] : Grantha Corporation ; [New York] : Distributed in North America by Antique Collectors' Club, 2012.
[Ahmedabad, India] Mapin Publishing [Middletown, NJ] Grantha Corporation [New York] Distributed in North America by Antique Collectors' Club, 2012.
83 pages : illustrations, maps, portraits. ; 24 cm.
- Sepia International Inc. and the Alkazi Collection of Photography -- Exhibitions.
Photography -- India -- History -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Photography -- India -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
Pondicherry (India) -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.
Pondicherry (India) -- 20th century -- Pictorial works.
- This publication emanates from an exhibition by the same title, displayed for the first time at the Alliance Francaise de Delhi. It is an attempt to trace the development of photography and the other allied visual arts in Pondicherry spanning the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Drawn exclusively from The Alkazi Collection of Photography, at the core of this initiative is the unpublished album by renowned photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson, co-founder of Magnum Photos, who visited the Sri Aurobindo Ashram in April 1950. He took the last pictures of Sri Aurobindo Ghose in the company of his spiritual companion, 'the Mother.' In addition, he meticulously penned his observations almost daily, creating a meta-text around the images, which presents a biographical and anecdotal supplement for his photographic endeavour.
- Machine generated contents note: Renewing Ties: Linking India And France Through The Art Of Photography / H.E. Mr Francois Richier
The Enduring Image / E. Alkazi
Silent As An Apparition: A Hidden Legacy Of Photography / Rahaab Allana
Mastering The Lens: Before And After Cartier-Bresson In Pondicherry / Deepak Bharathan
Brief Note On Sri Aurobindo Ashram And Photography / Kittu Reddy.
- Catalogue produced in conjunction with an exhibition curated and produced by the Alkazi Foundation for the Arts, with support of the Institut Français en Inde/ French Embassy in India and Alliance Française de Delhi.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 83)
- Alkazi, E., 1925-2020.
Reddy, Kittu, 1936-
France. Ambassade (India)
Alkazi Foundation for the Arts.
Alliance Francaise de Delhi.
Institut Français (India)
- 1935677284 (Grantha)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|