The first European description of Japan, 1585 : a critical English-language edition of striking contrasts in the customs of Europe and Japan by Luis Frois, S.J. / translated from the Portuguese original and edited and annotated by Richard K. Danford, Robin D. Gill, and Daniel T. Reff ; with a critical introduction by Daniel T. Reff.
- Standardized Title:
- Tratado em que se contêm muito susinta- e abreviadamente algumas contradições e diferenças de custumes entre a gente de Europa e esta provincía de Japão. English
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2014.
- Japan anthropology workshop series ; 25.
Japan anthropology workshop series ; 25
xi, 299 pages ; 24 cm.
- Japan -- Civilization -- 1568-1600 -- Early works to 1800.
Japan -- Social life and customs -- 1185-1600 -- Early works to 1800.
Japan -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.
Europe -- Civilization -- 16th century -- Early works to 1800.
Europe -- Social life and customs -- 16th century -- Early works to 1800.
- Translated from the Portuguese.
- "In 1585, at the height of the Jesuit missionary activity in Japan, which was begun by Francis Xavier in 1549, Luis Frois, a long-time missionary in Japan, drafted the earliest systematic comparison of Western and Japanese cultures. This book constitutes the first critical English-language edition of the 1585 work, the original of which was discovered in the Royal Academy of History in Madrid after the Second World War. The book provides a translation of the text, which is not a continuous narrative, but rather more than 600 distichs or brief couplets on subjects such as gender, child rearing, religion, medicine, eating, horses, writing, ships and seafaring, architecture, and music and drama. In addition, the book includes a substantive introduction and other editorial material to explain the background and also to make comparisons with present-day Japanese life. Overall, the book represents an important primary source for understanding a particularly challenging period of Japanese history and culture. "-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Danford, Richard K., 1964-, editor, translator.
Gill, Robin D., 1951- editor, translator.
Reff, Daniel T., 1949-, editor, translator.
George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|