Regionalism and globalism in antiquity : exploring their limits / edited by Franco De Angelis.
- Leuven : Peeters, 2013.
- Conference Name:
- Regionalism and globalism in antiquity conference (2007 : Vancouver)
- Colloquia Antiqua (Series) ; 7.
Colloquia Antiqua ; 7
xvi, 362 pages : illustrations, maps, plans ; 25 cm.
- Globalization -- Eurasia -- Antiquities -- Congresses.
Eurasia -- Antiquities -- Congresses.
- Conference proceedings.
- In English, with two contributions in French.
- How we conceive the movement of ancient phenomena through time and space has been undergoing reassessment in the last two decades, causing the grip to be loosened on the well-entrenched interpretative models that had dominated research up to that point. The 'Regionalism and Globalism in Antiquity' conference, held in Vancouver on March 16-17, 2007, aimed to take stock of this situation and in particular to investigate in fresh ways how regional and global phenomena in the ancient Mediterranean, Near East and Eurasia shaped local life. This volume contains 14 reworked and peer-reviewed essays from the original conference proceedings and provides a fair overview of the various chronological periods, methods and data, and perspectives encountered at the conference.
- Introduction: approaches to the movement of ancient phenomena through time and space / F. De Angelis
Innovation and the transmission of knowledge in antiquity: a look at current networking models / Z.H. Archibald
The Mediterranean context of Greek colonisation
a view from prehistory / N. Demand
The relationship between Egypt and the Levant during the 12th dynasty: four case studies and the generation of prestige / C. Wastlhuber
Banquet, Marzeah, Symposion and Symposium during the iron age: disparity and mimicry / A.J. Nijboer
A regional performance culture? The case of Syracuse / D.G. Smith
Influence, inspiration or innovation? The importance of contexts in the study of iconography: the case of the mistress of animals in 7th-century Greece / A.E. Barclay
Apollo akersekomas and the magic knot of Heracles / A.M. Nicgorski
The Greek Bosporan kingdom: regionalism and globalilsm in the Balck Sea / G.R. Tsetskhladze
Consumption and choice in ancient Sicily / J.St P. Walsh
Coan Asylia: small-state diplomacy and the Hippocratic legend / E.D. Nelson
Gender, sexuality and space: geopolitical reflections on Propertius 3. 13 and 14 / B. Weinlich
Régionalisme fiscal dans l'Égype romaine: le cas des terres limnitiques mendésiennes / K. Blouin
L'arc honorifique de Trajan à Constantin: le triomphe de la romanitas / C. Blonce
Glocalising an empire: Rome in the 3rd century AD /; M. Sommer.
- Papers from a conference held March 2007, Vancouver.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Samuel P. Orlando Fund.
- De Angelis, Franco.
Samuel P. Orlando Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|