Thirteen days : a memoir of the Cuban missile crisis / Robert F. Kennedy ; with introductions by Robert S. McNamara and Harold Macmillan.
- Other Title:
- Memoir of the Cuban missile crisis
Cuban missile crisis
- 1st ed.
- New York : W.W. Norton, 1969.
224 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962.
United States -- Foreign relations -- Soviet Union.
Soviet Union -- Foreign relations -- United States.
Military bases, Soviet -- Cuba.
Cuban Missile Crisis (1962)
Military bases, Soviet.
- Local subjects:
- Bases militares Rusia -- Cuba.
EE. UU. -- Relaciones exteriores -- Rusia.
- During the thirteen days in October 1962 when the United States confronted the Soviet Union over its installation of missiles in Cuba, few people shared the behind-the-scenes story as it is told here by the late Senator Robert F. Kennedy. In a clear and simple record, he describes the personalities involved in the crisis, with particular attention to the actions and attitudes of his brother, President John F. Kennedy. He describes the daily, even hourly, exchanges between Russian representatives and American.
- Introduction / Robert S. McNamara
Introduction / Harold Macmillan
Tuesday morning, October 16, 1962
The President ... knew he would have to act
A majority decision ... for a blockade
It was not up to one single man
The important meeting of the OAS ...
I met with Dobrynin ...
The danger was anything but over
There were almost daily communications with Krushchev
Expect very heavy casualties in an invasion
This could mean war
Those hours in the Cabinet Room ...
The President ordered the Ex Comm ...
Some of the things we learned ...
The importance of placing ourselves in the other country's shoes.
- "Documents": p. 163-218.
Facsim. on lining papers.
- Local notes:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection copy has dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
John Penman Wood Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|