Plant Life of the Dolomites [electronic resource] : Vegetation Structure and Ecology / by Erika Pignatti, Sandro Pignatti.
- Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer Berlin Heidelberg : Imprint: Springer, 2014.
1 online resource : illustration
- Life sciences.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- The landscape and vegetation of the Dolomites have characteristics that are very particular. Some 2300 species live here, about a fifth of the flora in Europe as a whole. This book depicts what the plant cover of the Dolomites is composed of, how it was formed, and what future evolution may bring. The data presented is based on the authors’ combined botanical research, which consists of thousands of surveys throughout the entire region of the Dolomites. To explain the vegetation, 106 plant communities are described in detailed datasheets. Biological, geological, climatic and physical-chemical parameters are given for each plant community, including a description of the habitat, the indicator species, the floristic composition, distribution, conservation, and alteration risks, as well as a distribution map and a photo of the association. The associations are grouped into habitats, such as the human habitat, natural forests and meadows on the valley floor, the coniferous forest belt, screes, alpine vegetation on granite, porphyry, and volcanic rock, as well as on dolomite and limestones. In closing, the authors make a case for using the scientific information provided in the book for the conservation of the Dolomites, the heritage of all humanity. Additional in-depth analysis will be presented in the supplementary volumes “Plant Life of the Dolomites: Vegetation Tables” and “Plant Life of the Dolomites: Atlas of Flora.”
- The Human Habitat
Natural Forests and Meadows on the Valley Floor and in the Montane Habitat
The Subalpine Habitat: The Coniferous Forest Belt
Alpine Vegetation on Granite, Porphyry, and Volcanic Rock
The Ascent toward the Cliffs: The Screes
Alpine Vegetation on Dolomite and Limestones
Synthesis, Data Interpretation and Statistical Calculations
Appendix: The Plant Associations of the Dolomites in the Traditional Phytosociological Classification
- Pignatti, Sandro, author.
SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-642-31043-0 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|