Dealing with government in South Sudan [electronic resource] : histories of chiefship, community & state / Cherry Leonardi.
- Woodbridge, Suffolk ; Rochester, NY : James Currey/Boydell & Brewer, 2013.
- Eastern African studies (London, England)
Eastern Africa series
1 online resource (xvi, 253 p.)
- Chiefdoms -- South Sudan -- History.
South Sudan -- Politics and government.
- Frontcover; Contents; List of Illustrations; Acknowledgements; Abbreviations; Glossary; General Introduction; Part One: From Zariba to Merkaz: The Creation of the Nodal State Frontier, c. 1840-1920; 1 Frontier societies and the political economy of knowledge in the nineteenth century; 2 Colonial frontiers and the emergence of government chiefs, c. 1900-1920; Part Two: From Makama to Mejlis: The Making of Chiefship and the Local State, 1920s-1950s; 3 Constituting the urban frontier: chiefship and the colonial labour economy, 1920s-1940s
4 Claiming rights and guarantees: chiefs' courts and state justice, c. 1900-19565 Containing the frontier: the tensions of territorial chiefdoms, 1930s-1950s; 6 Uncertainty on the urban frontier: chiefs and the politics of Sudanese independence, 1946-1958; Part Three: From Malakiya to Medina: The Fluctuating Expansion of the Urban Frontier, c. 1956-2010; 7 Trading knowledge: chiefship, local elites and the urban frontier, c. 1956-2010; 8 Regulating depredation: chiefs and the military, 1963-2005
9 Reprising 'tradition': the mutual production of community and state in the twenty-first century10 Knowing the system: judicial pluralism and discursive legalism in the interim period, 2005-2010; Conclusion; Interviews; Bibliography; Index; Backcover
- Electronic reproduction. New York Available via World Wide Web.
Description based on online resource; title from digital title page (viewed on Aug. 9, 2013).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Samuel P. Orlando Fund.
- JSTOR (Organization)
Samuel P. Orlando Fund.
- Other format:
- Print version: Leonardi, Cherry Dealing with Government in South Sudan : Histories of Chiefship, Community and State
- 9781782040873 (electronic bk.)
1782040870 (electronic bk.)
- Publisher Number:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|