Discovery of the world : a political awakening in the shadow of Mussolini / Luciana Castellina ; translated by Patrick Camiller.
- Standardized Title:
- Scoperta del mondo. English
- English-language edition.
- London ; Brooklyn, NY : Verso, 2014.
xiv, 194 pages ; 22 cm
- Castellina, Luciana, 1929 -- -Childhood and youth.
Castellina, Luciana, 1929 -- -Diaries.
Teenage girls -- Italy -- Diaries.
Coming of age -- Italy.
World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, Italian.
Fascism -- Italy -- History -- 20th century.
Communism -- Italy -- History -- 20th century.
Italy -- History -- 20th century -- Biography.
Italy -- Politics and government -- 1922-1945.
Italy -- Social conditions -- 1918-1945.
- Luciana Castellina is one of Italy's most prominent left intellectuals and a cofounder of the newspaper il manifesto. In this coming-of-age memoir, based on her diaries, she recounts her political awakening as a teenage girl in Fascist Italy--where she used to play tennis with Mussolini's daughter--and the subsequent downfall of the regime. Discovery of the World is about war, anti-Semitism, anti-fascism, resistance, the belief in social justice, the craving for experience, travel, political rallies, cinema, French intellectuals and FIAT workers, international diplomacy and friendship. All this is built on an intricate web made of reason and affection, of rational questioning and ironic self-narration as well as of profound nostalgia, disappointment and discovery.
- Foreword / by Lucrezia Reichlin
Discovering the World
- Translated from the Italian.
"First published as La scoperta del mondo ... Nottetempo SRL, 2011"--Title page verso.
- Camiller, Patrick, translator.
- 9781781682869 (hardback : alkaline paper)
1781682860 (hardback : alkaline paper)
9781781682876 (electronic : US)
9781781686591 (electronic : UK)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|