Let America be America again / Langston Hughes ; woodcuts by Antonio Frasconi.
- [Popular ed.]
- [New York : Published by George Braziller, Inc., 2004]
 unnumbered pages : color illustrations ; 30 cm
- America -- Poetry.
Social problems -- Poetry.
- Childrens subjects:
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- World-renown poet and master of prose Langston Hughes enlightened Americans nationwide when his poem "Let America Be America Again'' appeared in 1936. Today, more than half a century later, this poem's insights into American society and its dream of social justice continue to resonate powerfully among readers. In celebration of the poem's inspiring message, artist Antonio Frasconi illustrated Hughes's poem with thirty-two woodcuts in an extraordinary limited-edition artist's book, adding a rich visual dimension to the poet's verses. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., noted scholar and W. E. B. Du Bois Professor of the Humanities at Harvard University, contributed a foreword. A popular edition of this work, Let America Be America Again brings their important collaboration to a wider audience, faithfully reproducing the intricacy and subtlety of Frasconi's prints. Each coupling of image and stanza conveys Hughes's-and Frasconi's-dream of justice for all with compelling force. A call to fulfill this country's potential for greatness, Let America Be America Again will touch every American who reads its pages.
- Foreword by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
"Design assistance by Jerry Kelly."
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Frasconi, Antonio, illustrator.
Gates, Henry Louis, Jr., writer of introduction.
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Children's Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Hughes, Langston, 1902-1967. Let America be America again.
- 0807615501 (hardcover) :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|