Twitter and society / edited by Katrin Weller, Axel Bruns, Jean Burgess, Merja Mahrt, Cornelius Puschmann.
- New York : Peter Lang, 2013.
- Digital formations ; 89.
Digital formations 1526-3169 ; vol. 89
xxxviii, 447 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
Online social networks.
Internet -- Social aspects.
- Since its launch in 2006, Twitter has evolved from a niche service to a mass phenomenon; it has become instrumental for everyday communication as well as for political debates, crisis communication, marketing, and cultural participation. But the basic idea behind it has stayed the same: users may post short messages (tweets) of up to 140 characters and follow the updates posted by other users. Drawing on the experience of leading international Twitter researchers from a variety of disciplines and contexts, this is the first book to document the various notions and concepts of Twitter communication, providing a detailed and comprehensive overview of current research into the uses of Twitter. It also presents methods for analyzing Twitter data and outlines their practical application in different research contexts.
- Foreword: Debanalising Twitter: the transformation of an object of study
Twitter and society: an introduction
Pt. I, Concepts and methods :
Twitter and the rise of personal politics
Structural layers of communication on Twitter
Structure of Twitter: social and technical
The politics of Twitter data ;
Data collection on Twitter
Metrics for understanding communication on Twitter
Sentiment analysis and time series with Twitter
Computer-assisted content analysis of Twitter data
Ethnographic and qualitative research on Twitter
Legal questions of Twitter research.
Pt. II, Perspectives and practices :
From #FollowFriday to YOLO: exploring the cultural salience of Twitter memes
Twitter and geographical location
Privacy on Twitter, Twitter on privacy
Automated Twitter accounts
Information retrieval for Twitter data
Documenting contemporary society by preserving relevant information from Twitter ;
Popular culture :
The perils and pleasures of tweeting with fans
Tweeting about the telly: live TV, audiences, and social media
Following the yellow jersey: tweeting the Tour de France
Twitter and sports: football fandom in emerging and established markets ;
Brand communication :
Public enterprise-related communication and its impact on social media issue management
Twitter, brands, and user engagement ;
Politics and activism :
Political discourses on Twitter: networking topics, objects, and people
Twitter in politics and elections: insights from Scandinavia
The gift of the gab: retweet cartels and gift economies on Twitter ;
The use of Twitter by professional journalists: results of a newsroom survey in Germany
Twitter as an ambient news network ;
Crisis communication :
Crisis communication in natural disasters: the Queensland floods and Christchurch earthquakes
Twitpic-ing the riots: analysing images shared on Twitter during the 2011 U.K. riots ;
Twitter in academia :
Twitter in scholarly communication
How useful is Twitter for learning in massive communities?
Epilogue : Why study Twitter?
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Weller, Katrin editor of compilation.
- 9781433121708 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1433121700 (hardcover : alk. paper)
9781433121692 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1433121697 (pbk. : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|