Deleuze, Japanese cinema, and the atom bomb : the spectre of impossibility / David Deamer.
- New York : Bloomsbury, 2014.
- Thinking cinema
xvi, 326 pages ; 24 cm.
- Motion pictures -- Japan -- History -- 20th century.
Nuclear warfare in motion pictures.
Motion pictures -- Philosophy.
Deleuze, Gilles, 1925-1995.
- "David Deamer establishes the first ever sustained encounter between Gilles Deleuze's Cinema books and post-war Japanese cinema, by exploring how Japanese films responded to and were transformed by the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. From the early days of American occupation political censorship through to the social and cultural freedoms of the 1960s and beyond, the book examines how images of the event permeate post-war Japanese cinema. Each chapter begins by focusing upon one of three key themes: taxonomy, history or thought, before going on to explore a broad selection of films from 1945 to the present day, including respected masterpieces (Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon, 1951); popular and cult cinema (Godzilla, 1954; world renowned anime, Akira, 1988); the new wave (Nagisa Oshima's Night and Fog in Japan, 1960); and modern classics (Hideo Nakata's Ring, 1998). The author provides a series of monochrome diagrams to clarify and illustrate the concepts and conceptual components explored within the text, establishing a unique addition to Deleuze and cinema studies"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: Event, cinema, cineosis
Special images, contingent centres. Movement-images ; Bergson, sensory-motor process ; The effects of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (1946) ; Children of the atom bomb (1952) ; Godzilla (1954)
Horizons of history. Action-images ; Nietzsche, history ; Terror of mechagodzilla (1975) ; Lucky dragon no. 5 (1959) ; Barefoot gen (1983) ; Nausicaa of the valley of the wind (1984) ; Akira (1988)
Traces : symptoms and figures. Impulse-images and reflection-images ; Peirce, semiosis ; The naked island (1960) ; Dead or alive (1999) ; Ring (1998) ; Kwaidan (1964) ; The face of another (1966) ; Navel and a-bomb (1960) ; Tetsuo (1989) ; Face of Jizo (2004)
Consummation (and crisis). Mental-images ; Bergson, memory ; I live in fear (1955) ; Rashomon (1950) ; Dreams (1990) ; Rhapsody in august (1991)
Impure anarchic multiplicities. Time-images ; Deleuze, syntheses of time ; Casshern (2004) ; The Pacific war (1968) ; A history of postwar Japan as told by a bar hostess (1970) ; Black rain (1989) ; Hiroshima (1953)
Conclusion: Spectres of impossibility.
- Includes bibliographical references, filmography and index.
- 9781441178152 (hardback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|