Harmony & voice leading / Edward Aldwell, Carl Schachter, Allen Cadwallader.
- Other Title:
- Harmony and voice leading
- 4th ed.
- Boston, MA : Schirmer/Cengage Learning, c2011.
xvi, 720 p. : music ; 26 cm.
- "A clear and accessible volume spanning the entire theory course, Harmony and Voice Leading, Fourth Edition, begins with coverage of basic concepts of theory and harmony and moves into coverage of advanced dissonance and chromaticism. It emphasizes the linear aspects of music as much as the harmonic, and introduces large-scale progressions--linear and harmonic--at an early stage. The fourth edition now includes a chapter introducing species counterpoint and integrates that material into the rest of the text. A new Premium Website for students will provide interactive, guided exercises for new material covered in each unit and musical examples from the literature in both streaming and downloadable format. The Instructor Companion Site will include Guidelines for Instructors, a new instructor's manual written by Allen Cadwallader."--Publisher's website.
- Pt. 1. The primary materials and procedures. Key, scales, and modes
Rhythm and meter
Triads and seventh chords
Introduction to counterpoint
Procedures of four-pt. Writing.
Pt. 2. I-V-I and its elaborations. I, V, and V7
I6, V6, VII6
Inversions of V7
Leading to V: IV, II, and II6
The cadential 6/4
VI and IV6
Supertonic and subdominant seventh chords
Other uses of IV, IV6, and VI
V as a Key Area
III and VII.
Pt. 3. 5/3, 6/3, And 6/4 Techniques. 5/3-chord techniques
Pt. 4. Elements of figuration. Melodic figuration
Pt. 5. Dissonance and chromaticism I. Leading-tone seventh chords
Remaining uses of seventh chords
Applied V and VII
Pt. 6. Dissonance and chromaticism II. Seventh chords with added dissonance
The Phrygian II (Neapolitan)
Augmented sixth chords
Other chromatic chords
Chromatic voice-leading techniques
Chromaticism in larger contexts.
- Includes indexes.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1932 Fund.
- Schachter, Carl.
Cadwallader, Allen Clayton.
Sabin W. Colton, Jr., Memorial Fund.
Class of 1932 Fund.
- 9780495189756 (hbk.)
9780495905424 (International ed.)
0495905429 (International ed.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|