A visit to William Blake's inn : poems for innocent and experienced travelers / by Nancy Willard ; illustrated by Alice and Martin Provensen.
- [1st ed.]
- New York ; London : Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, [©1981].
- Newbery medal.
44,  pages : color illustrations ; 26 cm
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 -- Juvenile poetry.
Imaginary places -- Juvenile poetry.
Hotels -- Juvenile poetry.
Flying automobiles -- Juvenile poetry.
Cats -- Juvenile poetry.
Cows -- Juvenile poetry.
Tiger -- Juvenile poetry.
Children's poetry, American.
- Childrens subjects:
- Blake, William, 1757-1827 -- Poetry.
- Children's poetry -- 1981.
Newbery Medal Winner -- 1982.
Caldecott Medal Honor book -- 1982.
Nonsense verse -- 1981.
Imaginary voyages -- 1981.
Dust jackets (Bindings) -- 1981.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- A collection of poems describing the curious menagerie of guests who arrive at William Blake's inn. Inspired by William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience, this delightful collection of poetry for children brings to life Blake's imaginary inn and its unusual guests.
- Introduction to William Blake's Inn
William Blake's Inn for innocent and experienced travelers
Blake's wonderful car delivers us wonderfully well
A rabbit reveals my room
The sun and moon circus soothes the wakeful guests
The man in the marmalade hat arrives
The king of cats orders an early breakfast
The wise cow enjoys a cloud
Two sunflowers move into the yellow room
The wise cow makes Way, Room, and Believe
Blake leads a walk on the Milky Way
When we come home, Blake calls for fire
The marmalade man makes a dance to mend us
The king of cats sends a postcard to his wife
The tiger asks Blake for a bedtime story
Blake tells the tiger the tale of the tailor
Blake's advice to travelers.
- "First edition."
Art techniques used: Whimsical gouache, pen and ink paintings.
Designed by Atha Tehon.
Newbery Medal, 1982.
Caldecott Honor Book, 1982.
- Local notes:
- Tehon Collection copies 1 & 2 presented to the Penn Libraries in 2014 by Susan Tehon.
Tehon Collection copies 1 & 2: dust jackets retained.
Tehon Collection copy 2 dustjacket has Caldecott Honor Book and John Newberry Medal stickers on front.
- Penn Provenance:
- Gotham Book Mart (former owner) (Gotham Book Mart Collection copy)
Tehon, Atha (former owner) (Tehon Collection copies 1 & 2)
Tehon, Susan (donor)
- Penn Chronology:
- Provensen, Alice. , Illustrator
Provensen, Martin. , Illustrator
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. , Publisher
Gotham Book Mart Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Atha Tehon Thiras Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
0808547283 (back cover)
9780808547280 (back cover)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|