West Point life : an anonymous communication, read before a public meeting of the Dialectic Society, United States Military Academy, March 5, 1859 : Printed by order of the Society.
- Other records:
- [West Point, N.Y. : s.n., 1859]
16 p. ; 23 cm.
- United States Military Academy -- Poetry.
Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- West Point.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) West Point.
- A poem by Horace Porter; also published New York, 1866, under title: "Illustrated with pen and ink sketches, by a cadet. To which is added the song, 'Benny Havens, oh!" Cf. Richard H. Owens, Biography of General and Ambassador Horace Porter, 1837-1921 (Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen, 2002), p. 16-17.
- Local notes:
- Albert Collection copy is no. 17 in a volume of 22 mid-nineteenth-century printed works largely concerned with medical education and hospital management at the University of Pennsylvania and other Philadelphia medical institutions, with spine title: Memorabilia. Universitatis Pennsylvaniasis [sic].
Albert Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2014 by Dr. Daniel and Eleanor Albert.
Albert Collection copy has armorial bookplate of Robert B. Cruice, M.D., laid in.
Albert Collection copy has early ms. gift inscription ("Compliments of Cadet Crilly") at head of title leaf.
Albert Collection copy has the following items related to the medical education of Robert B. Cruice at the University of Pennsylvania tipped in after printed work no. 15 in this volume: 1 folded 19th-century printed "Notice for an Examination" toward the degree of Doctor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania with blanks for the class and name of the candidate, essay number and subject, and examination times to be supplied in ms. (here for Robert B. Cruice and addressed to him in ms. on verso); 1 19th-century printed broadside (1 sheet ( p.) ; 21 x 30 cm., folded to 21 x 14 cm.), headed "Order of examinations in University of Pennsylvania--Session 1858-59"; 12 unnumbered ms. pages (6 leaves, the last blank) with title "Questions asked at The Final Examinations for the Degree of M.D., before the Faculty of the University of Penna., Feb. & March 1859, Robert B. Cruice" in the hand of Robert B. Cruice; 1 folded 19th-century printed notice of passage of examinations toward the degree of Doctor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania with blanks for the name of the candidate (here Robert B. Cruice), the signature of the dean of the medical faculty (here R.E. Rogers), and the date (here 12 March 1859) to be supplied in ms.
Albert Collection copy: lower portion of many leaves stained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Albert, Daniel M. (donor) (Albert Collection copy)
Albert, Eleanor (donor) (Albert Collection copy)
Cruice, Robert Blake, -1899 (autograph) (inscription) (Albert Collection copy)
Rogers, R. E. (Robert Empie), 1813-1884 (autograph) (Albert Collection copy)
Crilly, Cadet (autograph) (Albert Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- United States Military Academy. Dialectic Society.
Dr. Daniel and Eleanor Albert Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|