Archbishop Pole / John Edwards.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 
- Archbishops of Canterbury series.
The Archbishops of Canterbury series
xv, 314 pages ; 25 cm.
- Pole, Reginald, 1500-1558.
Bishops -- England -- Canterbury -- Biography.
Cardinals -- Biography.
Henry VIII, King of England, 1491-1547 -- Relations with cardinals.
Great Britain -- History -- Henry VIII, 1509-1547 -- Biography.
Great Britain -- History -- Mary I, 1553-1558 -- Biography.
Church and state -- England -- History -- 16th century.
England -- Church history -- 16th century.
Henry VIII, King of England, 1491-1547.
Church and state.
Relations with cardinals.
England -- Canterbury.
- This fresh exploration of the life, work and writing of Archbishop Pole, focuses particularly on Pole's final years (1556-58) as Archbishop of Canterbury. Fully integrating Pole's English and Continental European experiences, John Edwards places these in their historical context and signposts lessons for contemporary issues and concerns. Stressing the events and character of Pole's 'English' life, up to his exile in the 1530s, as well as in his final years in England (1554-58), this book explores his close relationship, both genealogical and emotional, with Henry VIII and Mary I. Portraying Pole as a crucial figure in the Catholic-Protestant division, which still affects Britain today, this book details the first, and so far last, attempt to restore Roman Catholicism as the 'national religion' of England and Wales by telling the life-story of the hinge figure in forging English religious and political identity for several centuries. The final section of this book draws together important and illuminating source material written by Pole during his years as Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Family and upbringing
The king's servant
Legate and Archbishop
Consolidation and crisis
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 279-295) and index.
- 9781409420576 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1409420574 (hardcover : alk. paper)
9781409420583 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1409420582 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9781409420590 (ebk - PDF)
9781472401472 (ebk - ePUB)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|