Mademoiselle : Coco Chanel and the pulse of history / Rhonda K. Garelick.
- Other Title:
- Coco Chanel and the pulse of history
- First edition.
- New York : Random House, 
xxii, 576 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Chanel, Coco, 1883-1971.
Fashion designers -- France -- Biography.
Fashion design -- History -- 20th century.
- "Little black dresses. Fake pearls. Jersey knit. Blazers. Ballet flats. Today--and for nearly the last hundred years--we all see some version of Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel every time we pass a woman on the street. But few among us realize that Chanel's role in the events of the twentieth century was as pervasive as her influence on fashion, or how deeply she absorbed and then brilliantly reimagined the historical currents around her. Here, with unprecedented detail and ambition--and through fascinating, thoroughly researched portraits of Chanel's lovers and friends--Rhonda Garelick shows us the Chanel who conquered the world . . . a woman who thirsted to create others in her image, who ruthlessly and innovatively borrowed from her famous (and infamous) intimates, who understood the idea of branding and image well ahead of her time, who created "wearable personality." This is Chanel at the nexus of history: a woman of daring, passion, and legendary vision, in a wonderful biography that gives her long-awaited due"-- Provided by publisher.
- Early life
A new world
Designing together : Coco Chanel and Arthur Edward "Boy" Capel
Grand duke Dmitri
My heart is in my pocket : Coco and Pierre Reverdy
Women friends, mimetic contagion, and the Parisian Avant-garde
Antigone in Vogue : Chanel costumes the Modernist stage
Bendor : the richest man in Europe
The patriotism of luxury : Chanel and Paul Iribe
The pulse of history : Chanel, Fascism, and the interwar years
Love, war, and espionage
Showing them : Chanel returns.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -545) and index.
- 9781400069521 (hardback) :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|