The makeup of RuPaul's drag race : essays on the queen of reality shows / edited by Jim Daems.
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
vi, 202 pages ; 23 cm
- RuPaul's drag race (Television program : 2009- ).
RuPaul's drag U (Television program : 2010-2012).
Female impersonators on television.
Sexual minorities on television.
- "This international collection of original essays critically examines RuPaul's Drag Race and RuPaul's DragU and the representation of drag within the contexts of the reality TV genre and LGBTQ issues. Contributors focus on the structure of the programs, the subversive nature of drag, the treatment of trans contestants, race, language and the shows' handling of LGBTQ political issues"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: RuPaul's ambivalent appropriation of pop culture / Jim Daems
Representing gender, race and realness: the television world of America's next drag superstars / Mary Marcel
Of fish and feminists: homonormative misogyny and the trans*queen / Laurie Norris
Dragging with an accent: linguistic stereotypes, language barriers and translingualism / Libby Anthony
Policing the proper queer subject: RuPaul's drag race in the neoliberal "post" moment / Kai Kohlsdorf
"For your next drag challenge," you must do something: playfulness without rules / Fernando Gabriel Pagnoni Berns
Cover, girl: branding Puerto Rican drag in 21st-century U.S. popular culture / R. Gabriel Mayora
"Draguating" to normal: camp and homonormative politics / Josh Morrison
Of women and queens: gendered realities and re-education in RuPaul's drag empire / Carolyn Chernoff
The prime of Miss RuPaul Charles: allusion, betrayal and charismatic pedagogy / David J. Fine and Emily Shreve
About the contributors.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Daems, Jim, 1966- editor.
- 9780786495078 (softcover : alk. paper)
0786495073 (softcover : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|