Horror stories : classic tales from Hoffmann to Hodgson / edited with an introduction and notes by Darryl Jones.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2014.
xlii, 510 pages ; 23 cm
- Horror tales, English.
- Horror fiction.
- The modern horror story grew and developed across the nineteenth century, embracing categories as diverse as ghost stories, supernatural and psychological horror, medical and scientific horrors, colonial horror, and tales of mystery and premonition. This anthology brings together 29 of the greatest horror stories of the period from 1816 to 1912, from the British, Irish, American, and European traditions. It ranges widely across the sub-genres to encompass authors whose terror-inducing powers remain unsurpassed. The book includes stories by some of the best writers of the century-- Hoffmann, Poe, Balzac, Dickens, Hawthorne, Melville, Zola--as well as established genre classics such as M. R. James, Arthur Machen, Bram Stoker, Algernon Blackwood, Charlotte Perkins Gilman and others. It includes rare and little known pieces by writers such as William Maginn, Francis Marion Crawford, W. F. Harvey, and William Hope Hodgson, and shows the important role played by periodicals in popularizing the horror story. Wherever possible stories are reprinted in their first published form, with background information about their authors and helpful, contextualizing annotation. Darryl Jones's lively introduction discusses horror's literary evolution and its articulation of cultural preoccupations and anxieties. These are stories guaranteed to freeze the blood, revolt the senses, and keep you awake at night: prepare to be terrified!
- The sandman / E. T. A. Hoffmann
The man in the bell / William Maginn
George Dobson's expedition to hell / James Hogg
La grande bretêche / Honré de Balzac
Berenice- a tale / Edgar Allan Poe
Strange event in the life of Schalken the painter / Sheridan Le Fanu
The birth-mark / Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Tartarus of Maids / Herman Melville
What was it? / Fitz-James O'Brien
No. 1 Branch line: The signal-man / Charles Dickens
The death of Olivier Bécaille / Émile Zola
The Vivisector vivisected / Ronald Ross
The body-snatcher / Robert Louis Stevenson
The mark of the beast / Rudyard Kipling
Chickamauga / Ambrose Bierce
The yellow wall paper / Charlotte Perkins Gilman
The case of Lady Sannox / Arthur Conan Doyle
The squaw / Bram Stoker
The repairer of reputations / Robert W. Chambers
Novel of the white powder / Arthur Machen
The adventure of Lady Wishaw's hand / Richard Marsh
The monkey's paw / W. W. Jacobs
Luella Miller / Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
Count Magnus / M. R. James
For the blood is the life / Francis Marion Crawford
The Wendigo / Algernon Blackwood
August heat / W. F. Harvey
The room in the tower / E. F. Benson
The derelict / William Hope Hodgson.
- Includes chronology and explanatory notes.
- Jones, Darryl, 1967- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|